16.1 Melkyal

The sun had already set when I left the Watch Tower, where Angels of Courage have their main office. I needed all their reports on the Gallagher case to track down potential witnesses. The trial would be held at noon the next day, so time was of the essence.

"Melkyal, sir!" called a voice stopping me in my tracks.

I turned to see Anauel hasting in my direction. The strands of her blonde hair escaped from the tight bun, and her cheeks were flushed, so she probably ran to get there.

"Anauel? Has something happened?"

"The Archangel Omael has summoned you."

Cold crept up my back. "I have matters to attend to. I'll go to see the Hight Judge when I'm back." I tried to walk away, but Anauel grabbed my arm.

"I don't think you should let him wait, sir." Her voice trembled a bit. "I'm convinced the matter is urgent."

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. "Fine, I'm on my way then."

"Thank you, sir," the girl said, relieved. "Follow me."

"Do you know what it is about?" I asked when we took the main road while passing angels gave me quick, curious glances and hastily looked away. The rumours circulated here as quickly as they did in the Human Realm. An Archangel of Justice brought home a murderous demon. How bizarre! I scoffed inwardly and straightened my back, ignoring the glares.

Anauel was nibbling at the hem of her sleeve, not looking at me. "I think the High Judge is concerned about your performance, sir."

I clenched my fists. Of course, he was. I had a feeling my recent odd behaviour would be questioned sooner or later. But then again, I've never had so many doubts in my entire life. I mainly dealt with rampaging demons that were nothing but monsters, wreaking havoc and destroying everything in their way.

Life was simple─demons were a threat, so we eliminated them to keep the peace and protect defenceless humans. But the last couple of days were like a bucket full of icy water. The reality was not black and white as I thought. It mainly was a spectrum of greys so diverse that it was impossible to categorise each person as good or evil.

If Sanna was different from the regular stereotypical demon, I was convinced there were others too. And it was simply wrong to tag them all with one label and condemn them only based on who or what they were. My heart was revolting against that.

"I'm sorry about your friend," Anauel said, breaking my train of thoughts. "She seems like a nice person. For a demon, that is."

"She is. Sanna is not a cold-blooded killer. She did what she did to defend others, and I'm going to prove that."

"I honestly hope you will," the girl replied with a genuine smile. "We are angels, the servants of the Mighty One. I don't think we should let hatred cloud our judgment."

Suddenly, my heart seemed lighter. I was not alone in my doubts. Even this girl, who probably never set foot down in the Human Realm, saw the error in our ways. That meant we could still fix it.

"Anauel, can you do me a favour?"

"Sure. Name it, sir."

"Keep an eye on Sanna for me. I must go back down to earth, and I doubt I'll be back before the trial. Can you please make sure she's safe and not bothered? Also, I think she could use a friend right now."

"I..." the girl trailed off, conflicted between her good heart and the backlash she would receive for showing kindness to a demon. It was clear from her frowned brows and how she bit on her lips. But eventually, she looked back at me and smiled. "I will, sir. You don't have to worry about it."