Safety Net

Xylia Chanel Almanzar

I love my mom and she always has my back. She's like my safety net for me to fall back on. Sometimes I seem ungrateful but I've been trying to change that. My mom has had a whole lot of responsibilities she has to handle. Including the shooting of my older brother Zion.

He was trying to help my mom out because my mom had lost her job and he started dealing. One day when I got home from school I saw him giving a bag of white stuff to a man who looked like a gangbanger and they gave him money in return. I asked him about it and he told me to mind my business and I betta not tell Mom. I begged him to tell me what he was doing but he didn't budge.

It was pretty clear exactly what he was selling. I may be young but I ain't stupid, he's selling drugs.

I walked into my brother's room not bothering to knock on the door.

"I know what your so-called job is," I pouted putting air quotes when I said job.

"Lia, what the hell are you talking about," Zion grunted obviously annoyed.

"You sell drugs, you're a drug dealer," I shouted putting my hands on my hips.

"Get out," He mumbled not paying me any attention.

"You're selfish, you should be giving Mom that money," I smirked noticing his whole face tense up.

"Shut the fuck up, you might be right but so what," He said getting up from his bed.

"Mom is practically a slave working 2 jobs, and you do not give her money even tho you have it," I blurted out getting in his face.

That's all I remember before I slammed the door and stormed out.

He said something about having to give the money to some boss and he said he will get paid when he gets paid. I told Xyion that that's not how it works. I knew this because Mom told me how she gets paid on Fridays and jobs have consistent schedules for when employees get paid. Xyion explained to me that the streets were different and he was grateful to even be getting paid.

After my mom got home from work, I started getting ready to go to the mall with my mom. I put on some old green cargo army pants and a black t-shirt that said Party, Sleep, Repeat on it that my mom gave me, and threw on my plain black tennis shoes. I brushed my hair which was currently straightened and put it into a high messy bun.

 I brushed my hair which was currently straightened and put it into a high messy bun

I've been at this new school for about 2 weeks and I need a wardrobe change. My friends help me and sometimes bring me a change of clothes but I feel embarrassed wearing their clothes.

We drove 15 minutes before we got to Paramount Mall. When we got inside the mall I was in awe. Now, I've been to a mall before, several times like when my mom used to work at the pretzel place. It's just the mall is like my comfort space. 

 It smells like a box of brand new shoes mixed with the aroma of brand new clothes with Cinnabon around the corner and kettle corn popcorn but then if you go to the other side it smells like Victoria's Secret, New fresh clothes, cinnamon buns, and people different scents they carry around them.

My mom and I went to many different stores like H&M, Hot Topic, Hollister, Aeropostale, Old Navy, Forever 21, and more.

I got all types of different stuff and I knew my friends would be surprised when I came to school.

(The Next Day)

I woke up to my alarm clock going off at 6:30. I was so excited to wear my new clothes so school and look cute. I did all my skincare and hygiene. 

I wanted to wear a more simple look to school so I put on a plain white shirt and some black leggings that hugged my body tightly. I topped it off with a PINK fanny pack and once again put my hair into a messy bun. I wanted to add some accessories so I added a old watch and a necklace my brother bought for me a couple of months ago.

 I wanted to add some accessories so I added a old watch and a necklace my brother bought for me a couple of months ago

******************************************************************************

Author/Loni's Note

Just wait until yall see her glow up in high school/ Adulthood.

Jayda been fine ❤️

How yall feel about her brother being a drug dealer?

Thoughts on Xylia ofcc?