Chapter 40: Some Are Born Great.

Chapter 40

~Rien~

"Enough with the games. Make your pronouncement and stop wasting our time."

Father only smiled. "I do not play games Riener. You more than anyone are aware of that."

"And this? What is this? You have learned of our treachery and you offer your congratulations? If not a game then what is it?"

"Call it a father's pride in his sons. You have all exceeded my expectations."

"Have we now?" I indulged his madness.

"Indeed. You especially Riener. You say this is a game, but I assure it is not. This was a test and you have passed."

I needn't look to my brothers to know their expressions. It was clear that father was partaking in some form of trickery and soon his true intentions would become known. Perhaps playing his game would proffer the time I needed to form a plan of action.

"You've always prided yourself in the fact that you are blunt without apology father...Do get to the point."

His eyes narrowed. "That tongue of yours will get you into trouble if you do not keep it in check."

I released an uncharacteristic sigh "Yes and so will my hands if I do not keep them to myself and my eyes if I do not use them the way you wish...If not for your punishment, then why are we here?"

"Your impatience will also get you nowhere. A trait from your mother no doubt."

I felt the air around me go still with tension. Talk of mother was always laden with pain and discomfort. Coming from father however, was much worse.

"Do not speak of our mother. Riener is right, you have summoned us here, it is time for you to say your piece. We are not interested in small talk." Marcan spat and father raised a brow as he watched him.

"I was beginning to wonder if I would ever learn the sound of your voice Marcan." He said with another uncharacteristic smile. "It seems time with Riener has made you bold. This is good."

Marcan gritted his teeth but said nothing more as he glared at our leader.

Father turned his attention back to me and this time I stared at him without a word.

"It took my men three years to gain the trust of the wolves. Three years for them to truly welcome them among their own, yet it took you three days to ally yourself with them." He began. "You managed to gather hunters—the very men who have massacred our kind for centuries. The very men who despise us and you, a blood-drinker, managed to ally yourself with them."

He knew far more than I had thought originally. "And? What of it?"

"It is no secret that you and your brothers do not see eye to eye, yet you came together against a common enemy." He said, his eyes filled with untamed glee. "In the face of adversity you were able to think Riener. You were able to act and you succeeded!"

"Well, clearly my success is in dispute considering the fact that you have known of my plans even from the beginning."

"No." he said. "Your success is very much alive and I am glad for it."

"I still do not follow."

"How do you think I came to know of your plans Riener?"

"I suppose I was not as careful as I had believed."

"No, you could not have been any more careful than you were, I assure you. It is just that I was on the path before you even learned of it."

I looked at Peitre who sat across from me and he shook his head. "Despite popular belief, I have never been a fan of riddles."