Chapter 48: In the throes of war

Chapter 48

"I have disappointed my master many a time since your return from war. I have betrayed the trust I have worked very hard to build. Yet, he has forgiven me without a thought." Kaio's mouth tightened. "Now he has tasked me with the responsibility of watching over you while he battles in your name, and I will not fail him." He folded his thick arms across his chest and stood before the only exit. His expression was grim.

"Kaio, I'm not asking you to turn a blind eye while I go do something reckless. I'm asking you to step aside and allow me to help protect the man we both care about."

He shook his head, and I ran a hand through my hair; frustrated now.

Grady watched us in silence; his expression for once; unreadable. While Laken stood at the window—his gaze trained on the chaos below.

I took a breath. "You once said you considered me a friend."

His brows rose quizzically. "I do."

"Well friendship means more than just companionship. It means having faith in the other person." I explained. "It means going against instinct and trusting the other just because he asks you to."

He glanced at Malik, who offered no response, then back at me. "You are but skin and bones Tony. You will not make a difference in this war." He hissed. "In fact, had I not been tasked with the duty of watching over you, my master would have locked me away in a safe place because I am but a drudge. I will not make a difference, because I am no warrior and neither are you."

"Bullshit! Anyone can make a difference, warrior or not. Rien is strong, but even the strongest people need help sometimes, and I CAN make a fucking difference out there."

"I think." Malik, who up until now had been silent, began; "You're very impulsive and you're still weak after what happened to you. So thinking you can go out there and do more than flutter around in the wind is crazy."

My eyes narrowed. This asshole

"But," he interrupted my musings "I know you're the most determined person I've ever met and if anyone can go out there and kick some ass, it's you." He looked me right in the eyes as he said it, and the pride I saw there sent a strange stirring in my chest. I cleared my throat as he turned to Kaio, who watched him with narrowed eyes.

"Let him go Kaio." He told his mate. "He's a grown man. He shouldn't have to deal with the shit you and Rien keep putting him through."

Kaio's face shuttered. "Mal—"

"He deserves a chance to make his own decisions, whether or not they turn out to be mistakes, and whether or not we agree with them."

"This is out of my hands." He replied stubbornly. We all—with the exception of Laken—watched as he placed his hands behind his back and raised his chin in defiance. "My master has spoken."

"I wonder." Malik continued; a sort of reverence in his voice now as he looked at his mate. Kaio glanced at him, but the adamant set of his expression remained. "Is this how you'll allow Rien to come between us in the future?" he asked softly. "Is this what life with you will be like? What Rien says is law and to hell with what I think?"

I scratched my head awkwardly as the tension immediately settled around the room. From his perch on the bed, Grady let out a low whistle, before turning his eyes down to his cards.

When Kaio's face fell, I almost felt bad for him...almost. "I told you it would not. Lord Riener would never place me in such a position as to compromise what we have." His eyes were almost pleading.