Chapter 15: Recollections of the past.

Chapter 15

~Rien's POV~

Not once did he glance my way since my declaration and I suppose I expected this reaction. Tony was stubborn, had always been and of course, war had made him even more so. For a while I only watched him, taking the opportunity to appreciate the delicate curve of his chin and the faint dusting of hair that added a touch of rugged masculinity to his features.

The fit of his shirt showed off the firm muscles he hadn’t had before I’d sent him off to the army and only supplemented his overall beauty. For he was beautiful, my Tony; inside and out despite his imperfections.

At the moment his teeth were clenched, his eyes locked firmly out the window and his hands gripped the arms of chair tightly. He was angry, which was another thing that had’nt changed; that temper of his that more often than not had gotten him into situations I would prefer to forget.

“You know very well that I have no qualms about sitting here all night.” I announced as a way to prompt him into speech, but he remained silent and I could imagine his building anger. Like a child he didn’t like being told what to do.

Another ten minutes passed and as I had a thousand times before, I memorized every inch of him; the scaring on his knuckles, the length of his lashes and the tense set of his shoulders. He sat without a cover for his feet which were planted firmly on the floor.

Another fifteen minutes and he finally glanced my way, his eyes weary but with just a touch of annoyance so I offered him a smile and his eyes narrowed.

“Why are you doing this” he gritted out and I found myself pleased with the progress.

“Because after all we have been through together I find it unfortunate that we cannot spend a moment or two in each other’s presence without you finding some way to insult me.”

“Fuck you.” was his immediate response before he turned away again and I turned my eyes to the heavens. He could try the patience of a saint.

“If you did not want to join the Army, then you shouldn’t have done something so irresponsible as sign up on a mere dare. This was all your doing and you choose to blame me for your own recklessness.”

“Jesus Christ! Can we just drop this? It was five fucking years ago, why can’t you just get over it?”

I could only look at him with raised brows. “I cannot get over it because you clearly have not.” I said simply and he shook his head.

“I’m over it. I’ve been over it since the moment you left me there.”

“And now you choose to lie? Be the man you profess to be and speak your mind. You were never a coward, don’t start now.”

“Fuck you.”

“Is that the best you can do? You think that will make me give up? Stop being a coward and speak your mind!”

“I’m the coward? You sent me off to the Army because you couldn’t handle a little trouble? I was nineteen, my family didn’t give a shit about me and I needed a way to vent, so I made some mistakes and you weren’t man enough to stick around; but then you’re not even a man are you? You’re just a bloodsucking parasite who left a scared, troubled kid to fight in the Military and suddenly I’m the coward.” He raged and I fought down my own temper.

“A little trouble?” I asked, my voice calm, my expression closed.

He said nothing, only shook his head and turned away.

“I could deal with a little trouble, I could deal with your anger, I could come to your aid every time you needed me and I did, but you were on a self-destructive path and no matter what I did, no matter how much I warned you, the further down that path you went. I had no choice.”