Chapter 8: Decisions

Chapter 8

~Tony’s POV~

“Sit.” Rien ordered as soon as we entered the room and for a second I thought to defy him but the almost murderous look in the vampire’s eye could get anyone to obey.

I dropped into the seat to watch it play out.

The room, as expected was large and spacious. Gray stone walls, cold stone floors, wooden and polished furniture from some other era with blank walls and not a touch of personality. I felt almost claustrophobic in the lifeless room.

“One thing I asked your brothers to do and as expected they have failed me.” his father was going on about something.

“I am not a child father, you cannot expect them to follow me about, trying to make decisions for me.”

“They were always a useless lot, a complete disgrace to this coven and now they have allowed you to take on a human mate-“

“As I have said I am free to make my own decisions and it would do you well not to continue treating them that way; they despise me enough as it is and they are undeserving of such a treatment from their own father.”

I watched them with furrowed brows, confused by the direction their conversation had taken. The guy had all but ripped his neck from his body and here Rien stood having a civil conversation with the man as if nothing had happened. I couldn’t understand it.

“They will not even take a step without an order from me. They hold their tongues when I command it, they run when I say and bend over backwards to do my bidding. They fear me, they are weak”. The vamp spat, clearly disgusted.

Rien moved to place a hand on his father’s shoulder and I shook my head. I’d never understand vamps.

“You do not make it easy for them.”

“Yet you manage to defy me at every turn. You have never been one to obey my orders or to take my words as they are, it is why you are my beloved son.”

And here was a father playing favorites. I took a breath.

“It has been rare that I have expressed any disappointment in you Riener, but today you stand before me challenging my authority, disgracing the court with your human, calling him mate, letting him speak out of turn, it is repulsive and had it been any other, I would have had them punished severely for such a grave error.”

Rien’s hand dropped to his side and he moved to stand beside me.

“And what will you do now father? Do remember that it was your wish that I present my mate.”

The father finally lowered himself into the chair across the room, he watched Rien for a second then his black cold eyes turned to me, piercing my gaze with their ruthless intelligence and I held them until my eyes watered and I had to blink. He didn’t look pissed anymore but neither did he look particularly pleased and I wondered which was the lesser evil.

“What are you called?” it took me a second to realize he was talking to me and with narrowed eyes I addressed him.

“Ask your son, you’ve been doing a pretty awesome job of ignoring me so far, don’t stop on my account.” I issued in annoyance and I felt Rien stiffen beside me.

The leader’s eyes darkened if that were possible and I glanced briefly at Rien, then back at him.

“I suppose I can see why you chose him. He’s not very different from you is he?”