38

"he transferred here about 2 months ago." she looked out the window as she told the sudden news. she had no idea how her mom would react, but hopefully her reaction would be calm.

"2 months ago?!" her mom replied, "i had no idea, oh gosh..." she muttered, thinking of what to say.

it was suddenly silent for a bit as her mom began reminiscing the memories. namkyu hadn't told her mom about how sunghoon was the reason she wanted to quit skating. sunghoon was a good kid in her mom's eyes. hardworking, nice, and polite.

"he's your boyfriend now? why didn't you tell me?" she asked, surprised but not angry as namkyu thought she would be.

she quickly shook her head, "nooo! junkyu wont let it go, and he's not my boyfriend anymore. well, he wasn't ever my boyfriend in the first place..." she looked down in disappointment.

her mom grew suspicious, "why not? did you reject him?" she asked. her mom continued to look back at the memories as she waited for an answer.

adding on, "his mom used to tell me stories about how he had a crush on you." she giggled. "ahh, so cute. i miss it."

"mom." namkyu suddenly said in a voice that was asking her to stop. "he didn't have a crush on me, i would've known."

"oh, but he did." her mom replied back, trying to make the girl believe her.

though, she wasn't having it. "did. it doesn't matter if he liked me or not, i wish he treated me like he did." she muttered.

right. how could he be so good at acting the opposite of how he feels?

he "liked" me, but teased me, made fun of me...

and when he didn't, he treated me so kindly.

how was that possible?

she shook her head, hoping to shake off the thoughts of him. good thing, they finally arrived. she was frustrated just by the image of him in her head and the fact that she still fell for him despite all these fake acts.

she couldn't stand it. she hated herself even more, knowing that she can't control who she likes, or how to not like that person at all.

"alright... thank you mom." she politely said. as she was about to leave the car, she heard a ding come from her phone in her pocket.

she opened the car door quickly before shutting it and waving farewell to her family. after, she pulled out her phone and checked the notification, then looking around to see if anyone was looking at her, or if she was late to the celebration.

*3 messages from jungwon

jungwon gave her his number a while ago, but they rarely ever text. probably because it's awkward, but also because namkyu never really had the time to text.

______________________________

- you here yet?

- lmk when you are :)

- i have something to say.

______________________________

she shut her phone off after texting back a simple 'i'm here'. she didn't know exactly what to expect, but she just hoped it wasn't the worst of the worst.

the girl made her way to the entrance, walking in and looking around at all the tables and people. some were seated, some were up talking, some where fooling around.