VII

As Alver followed behind Cale Henituse in the carriage, he issued several orders to his servants. He was talking about Rosalyn just as the carriage door began to close slowly, and Cale cast a glance at Rosalyn just as the door closed completely.

Cale leaned back in his chair as the door closed behind him. He seemed to enjoy the Royal carriage because he appeared to be at ease before looking at him.

Alver then decided to ditch his fake smile and adopt a stoic demeanor similar to the person in front of him.

"Do you require any healing?"

Cale replied bluntly.

"My body is healthy, but shouldn't I get the best doctors and priests to look at it? I just want to lay around for three or four days."

"Ha."

Alver couldn't help but laugh, which sounded like a sigh. He did, however, nod his head.

"You're right. That will be good. The noble who saved everyone is hurt, and the crown is doing everything it can to nurse him back to health. Very nice."

We are the same. He didn't need to put on a show now that he and this person were the same types of person. That's why he got to the point.

"Are you involved with them, Young Lord Cale?"

He was referring to the people who had appeared in the plaza today. He wanted to be certain and had been waiting for his chance. Cale made eye contact with him. His gaze was clear and calm.

He may tend to take advantage of others, but Alver had to put his safety first.

He was expecting a proper response, but trash would still act like trash. Cale responded to his question with ease and with a bright smile on his face.

"Why, Your Highness, would I do something so vexing?"

"Indeed."

Alver immediately agreed. There's no way he'd go as far as to make an elaborate show as that. There was no way someone hiding as trash would do something like that.

He could tell Cale was only stepping in because there were no other options. Cale was forced to make a decision.

"The crown may attempt a futile investigation into you."

"Will you protect me, your highness?"

"Why are you asking such a simple question?"

He was going to protect him without even asking. He drew back the curtains to see the crowd of citizens outside. He put his smile back on and continued to speak.

"Let's finish our conversation when I come to see how you're doing later."

He's thinking about what to do next. Until—

"Your highness."

"Yes?"

"This Cale is always available for a conversation with our nation's star."

The corner of his mouth twitched into a frown.

"I don't want my actions to be exaggerated when you package them for public consumption."

"I'll only package it a little bit; I just need enough to keep people from complaining about the crown."

He kept speaking while casually saying the next part. It sounded a little glib, but it was true.

"Anyway, thank you; the number of people injured was reduced as a result of your assistance."

His words, however, were genuine. He couldn't protect them while also needing to be protected. He's strong, but he can't move around freely.