XXX

Alver Crossman is terrified.

His heart sank when he noticed Cale casually conversing with him. He bit his worries and informed him of the Henituse Household's elevation to the status of Duchy. Cale was watching him as he always did.

"What is wrong?" his voice knocked some sense into his heart. His eyes were worried, and his voice was solemn. Of course, there was no need to tell him everything that had happened to him.

"Nothing, just tired," he replied, smiling at him.

Alver is acting similarly to his mother, who hid her true feelings from the man she loved. To wait silently for his return and for him to tell him about all his concerns.

Would he still have something to say if he asked Cale to stay?

They will naturally grow apart sooner or later..

He was well aware that it would be painful.

But the fact that they had gone days without speaking made him wonder if they were truly in love. He was unable to look into his eyes. How did they get this far? And why did something so unusual have to happen?

His mind was flooded with memories.

It reminded him of all the things they used to be.

He was well aware that they could not return to those times.

"It was an oversight."

"What exactly did you say?"

He turned to face Cale. He had not realized he would say it so loudly.

Even when things were going well, he never imagined that their relationship would end.

"Cale..." he asked, "Do you love me?"

He thought that another love would mend his broken heart.

Cale did not respond.

"Have you ever thought about my feelings?"

"I don't understand."

"Why can not you tell me?"

Cale appeared befuddled. "What is there to tell you? Alver, tell me what is wrong?"

"There is nothing wrong, Cale. That is why I am asking." Alver could not even cry.

Cale's distance from him after that made him feel extremely lonely.

"Do you love me?" he inquired once more.

"I..." Cale paused for a moment. He was trying to figure out why Alver keeps asking him, "Like you..."

I knew it was over when we started doing things on our own. We both made mistakes. I feel like I am drowning in sadness, anger, and resentment in different lakes.

He wished him the best of luck as his strength and endurance are put to the test.

"Alver..."

"I love you, Cale..." he finally said, not expecting Cale to respond, "So much that it hurts."

Cale does not say anything to him. Cale remained silent, even when he was in pain. He wanted to be his guiding light, but after seeing how things went with them after he awoke, he realized—

We were not meant to be.

"Where are you?" Cale asked.

"Cale, I am sorry... I think we need some alone time...""

"I AM ASKING YOU?! WHERE ARE YOU?!?" Cale's voice rose, but he smiled bitterly at him.

"See you soon, Cale," Alver said with a shake of his head.