Two

Lizzo - 2 Be Loved (Am I Ready?)

~

"PAINT AND SIP." I suck on the straw piercing through my can of milkshake in my left grasp, still swiping through the website with my right thumb. "Ew."

I get a WhatsApp notification, but I don't tap on it just yet since I can already see who it is and what the person wants.

Amara: Where are we going to tonight, girllllllllll?????

Urgh. I groan internally.

I don't know. I'm still picking.

It's Friday night, coupled with the scent of the tropics and an enormous feel of happiness.

After a stressful week of appointments and co-doctoring few surgeries, I had another Me Day. But in a few minutes time, my Me Day will officially come to an end, to make way for what we call Girls' Game Night.

A Friday night when I and my girlfriends meet up anywhere in the world to discuss about work, love, and gossip until the Management of wherever we're at throws us out. Or - if we spend the night at anyone's house - we fall asleep.

"Make Your Own Pottery." I read, rolling my eyes. "Yeah, no."

"How was your date with James Williams, baby?" My mum's voice booms through my phone's speaker, reminding me that she's still on the phone with me. Double urgh.

I'd rather talk about feminism with alpha males.

"It was...great." I drawl. "Hmm, Dance Night sounds fun. But no." I'm a whack dancer. Only dance move I'm good at is twerking and nobody needs to see that.

"What did you wear?" She queries in an I-hope-you-didn't-embarrass-your-lineage tone.

"Bikini." I mumble nonchalantly. "Fondue Fest." My eyes roam my iPhone screen. "Mum, what do you think about the girls and I Fondue Festing?"

"What even is fondue?"

"I dunno." Slurp. Slurp. "I think it's cheese...or cake."

"Oh, if it has anything to do with cake, you should leave it for your marriage preparations."

I goggle my eyes even harder. "I think unmarried people are allowed to eat cake, mum."

"During my time, having anything to do with cake as a bachelorette at twenty-five was a big, fat shame."

"It's 2021."

"And you're still unmarried!" She utters a Saint's name harshly. "And did I hear you say you wore bikinis for James Williams?"

"Floral Arranging? Jesus, these people are just making things up at this point, I swear." I shake my head in disappointment, inwardly deciding on ignoring my mother.