Fifty-one (R)

Camila Cabello - Never Be The Same

~

"OH, MY GOD, I totally forgot I haven't told you." Jade squeals. "Or has Amara?"

I break my gaze from my bathroom mirror and take it to my phone, which is placed on top of the sink and against the mirror so that I can see Jade's face and she can see mine as we video-call.

"No, babe. Told me what?" I ask her non-committally. I'm not even paying attention to her. I'm lost in a world of my own in my head, brushing my hair with the strength of a zombie and reminiscing on the five - or more - other times Mr. Ash and I have been in this exact position as he took care of my curls.

Sometimes it's because I dare him to after a round of Three Questions, other times he just offers and of course I say yes. He's gotten really good at it too, and I'll be a liar if I say I didn't want him to take it slightly further every single time; but he hasn't, he's dutifully respected his promise to not touch me unless I want him to.

"I feel like you're not listening to me." I hear Jade grumble, breaking me out of my thoughts.

I sigh in realization, bringing my hands down from my head and dropping my brush at the same time.

"I'm sorry, Jade." I exhale. "I'm just..." horny, sexually aroused, sexually stimulated? "...tired." Liar. "Please, repeat."

She eyes me wearily for few milliseconds. "You remember that problem I always complained about in my previous place of work?"

"What problem?" I ask her, suddenly intrigued and also partly suspicious, but I take note of the fact that she said 'previous place of work.' Was she fired?

"The," she reduces her voice a bit, "groping and racism problem."

Oh, yeah, I remember that.

Jade's a nurse. Few weeks after getting a job at some hospital, she kept complaining about how much she hated her work environment; the management was doing something about the subtle racism, but I guess it wasn't enough for her.

"You were fired, huh?" I wish I could hug her through my phone.

"No." She laughs. "I resigned; a long time ago really."

"What?"

"Didn't want to tell you guys until I got a new one." She pouts.

"And...you have?"

"Yesss." She beams." It's at some posh hospital in a large city in another province, but the pay is really decent, and I have younger work associates which equals no gross groping!" She practically screams. "Even if they do, I don't think I'll complain." Her white, rabbit-like teeth peek out from behind her lips.