Forty

Maroon 5 - Wait

Maroon 5 - Wait.

~

WOMEN ARE THE TRUE ROOTS OF EVIL.

I slept in Jason's hotel that night. And I woke up angry the next day.

After freshening up, I walked out of my room to see two people I'd never dreamed I'd ever see again, and Juan.

Everyone froze, eating the other up with their eyes.

Mario and Iris had changed so much over the years...physically. Mentally however, Mario was pretty much still the same weed-addicted, psychopathic motherfucker, and Iris...well, she'd always been mature.

Juan was a current addition, but I'd seen him few times. He was like an assistant to my best friend.

On seeing these people in Jason's living room, feeling at home and chatting over tacos, I got reminded of Jason's icy statement that Sunday on Church grounds. No wonder he didn't go back to Las Vegas after Tia's funeral. Amigo couldn't stay away from his family any more.

Jason looked at me...and just smiled. I didn't know if he was smiling because of what I'd rung him up to do for me the night before, or if he was smiling because of the unexpected company of people in his home, but either ways, I understood. I understood that he'd talk whenever he felt ready enough to share.

That's why I joined their gathering, took never-ending jabs from Mario, caught up on things as quickly as I could with Iris, and nodded with a poker face when Jason told me that they all were going to help me find out who killed my sister.

It wasn't going to be in the most legal ways, yes, but in all honesty, I was way past caring. They're much more capable than the legal authorities, and maybe - just maybe - I missed the shit out of the two of them whom I basically grew up with.

"Can you put your fucking gun down? Nobody's here." Jason scolds me, using the tip of his fingers to shift the barrel of my gun from his direction.

I hear Mario snicker beside me. "At this point, I'm not sure Ian even remembers how to use a gun anymore."

That statement and that nickname from his lips manage to trigger me and I raise the hand holding my gun, firing a shot upwards. The sound of the bullet pierces the air, slicing through the silent night and leaving a deafening ring in its wake.

"Now, imagine my barrel was inside your big mouth, Mario." I snap at him. He's been pissing me off since Jason brought him back into my life.

Juan begins to cough in front of me, obviously trying and failing to mask his laughter.

Maybe I should shoot him in the mouth, considering the fact that he almost made Carol rip my head off yesterday. Who the fuck gives a kid weed?