Twelve

The Kid LAROI - Thousand Miles

~

IF SOMEONE TAKES SOMETHING from you, you gotta take something of theirs. Something worth ten times your loss.

When I entered Carl's office that day, he explained everything to me. From how he checked the cameras in all the rooms Taylor was wheeled through and interviewed the staff that attended to her, to how he redid all the tests, scans and examinations.

Taylor was indeed overdosed on anesthesia.

I stormed out of his office when he started begging me to spare Doctor Alaina.

He said that he'd already fired her, so she was as devastated as could be. He also pleaded with me to not involve The Press as to preserve York-South's image, but I had other plans. His hospital's reputation would be secured, I don't have a problem with him; that doctor on the other hand, she would lose everything, including her image.

After I left his office, I met up with Jason for the purpose of clarification since he was the one heading the investigations.

All he did was basically confirm all Carl Simons told me, but he was hesitant while at it. The reason is as simple as it pisses me off: he didn't want me to put Alaina in jail. I don't know if it's because he finds her attractive enough to fuck her, or if it's because he truly believes she is innocent. And I don't know why I got so agitated at the fact that he was sticking up for her. But as usual, I couldn't decipher what went on in his head, so I just left.

Joan called again, and that time, I took her call. She told me she wanted to fly into America to mourn with us since she wasn't around for the funeral, but I told her not to. She had few more weeks to finish the semester; after that, then she could return home. We let her miss Taylor's last ceremony because of that sole reason.

The only people that came that day were close friends and family members. It was better that way. No extravagance, or pseudo-tears which would aggravate me.

Although, I kind of regretted inviting Tío Santiago. He's Jason's uncle and the only person from Montréal who reaches out to me once in a while, hence his presence for the funeral. I never liked him, and he never liked me either; his pretenses notwithstanding. His fake-crying that day and his large handkerchief almost made me range practice in Ravenyard with his fucking eye as target.

Joan is the one who referred me to Mr. Mitchell. She said he was one of the best lawyers in Canada who schooled in England who formerly helped her friend's dad win a certain popular case in which the latter was even clearly in the wrong. All lawyers are liars, after all.

Mr. Anouilh is Joan's friend's—a certain redhead loudmouth—father, and he's among the plentiful corrupt politicians in Canada who's aware of my past in The Mafia and of La eMe's inner workings and operations. Sometimes, he even benefits off of them.