Prologue

Sydney Wolfe was only 5 when she decided what she wanted to do with the rest of her life. It took one trip to North Island and it changed the course of everything. As the oldest daughter of Leonard 'Wolfman' Wolfe, Sydney decided the Navy was the only place she wanted to be.

As soon as she finished high school, she went straight for the Naval Academy and began her training. Aviation was the only thing she wanted to do. From day one, she did everything in her power to keep up and be up with the best of the best.

She was new. Not new to the point she still had the new car smell, but new enough that Sydney was unsure of even walking through the door. It was her 6th year in the Navy as an aviator and had no idea why she had been sent all the way to North Island. In no way did she think it was the time nor was the experience level there at all. She'd been in a hand full of situations, but she was the only one in her group to have been in a dog fight with 5th gens that made it out alive enough to tell the tale.

"Lieutenant Wolfe. Welcome to Top Gun." Sydney looked to hear where the voice was coming from and her eyes landed on an old family friend standing in a now empty office.

"Commander Metcalf." She smiled and walked over to the older man. He had just cleaned out what was left in his office and wanted to wait for the girl's arrival before he departed for home. "I didn't think you were still here."

"Yesterday was my final day. Came by to collect the rest of my things."

"Damn, I won't be flying with you? I'll have to tell my dad."

"How is Wolfman?" Viper trailed off as they walked down the hallway together.

"Wolfman. I haven't heard anyone call him that in so long. You know momma can't stand it." Sydney laughed knowing how mad it made her mother to hear the old call sign. "But he's good. He's finally taking a well needed break. Sammy just graduated high school and Charlie is almost done college. Momma's hoping they can finally retire and take that vacation they've been planning for some time now."

"Good, I'm glad they're doing well. I still can't believe you all are so grown up. I remember your dad bringing you here when he was flying Top Gun." Sydney remembered the trip like it had happened the day before. Some parts were blurry, but she could remember all the good parts. Her mom was newly pregnant with her younger brother and she was 5.

"Me too."

"This is me." Viper said as they stopped at the exit out to the parking lot. "Be good. Do good. I can't wait to see where this lands you." they shared a small hug before he reached for the door.

"Hey Viper." he turned back, feeling as if this was the last time he was going to hear his call sign, "Do you know how I ended up here?" He smiled at her and gave all the confirmation she needed.

"Do good kid. We need pilots like you." were his last words to her as he walked off into the parking lot.

***

She spent her time in Top Gun learning the best ways to take on enemy pilots and shake loose any sticky situation. After finishing at the top, she was ready for anything. Upon completion of the program, she was assigned to the VFA-41 Black Aces in Lemoore. Which meant more packing and moving for her.

The five hour drive wasn't so bad. Sydney mostly took the scenic route to avoid any LA traffic and just enjoy her time alone. She knew when she was on base, it was time to work. Sydney pulled up to her work-provided home and got out to carry her things in and get acquainted with her new home before going to base to meet with her captain and squad leader.

"I heard we were getting a newbie today." Sydney heard as she entered the building. A young woman with dark brown hair twisted into a tight bun was walking over to her with the biggest smile on her face. "Natasha Trace, but they call me Phoenix."

"Sydney Wolfe, Cowgirl." Sydney's southern accent was enough to explain her callsign. So much that she would rather not go into detail as to what actually made her name stick. She hated the story and the fact that the 10% rule even existed. Because if it wasn't for Jake and his love for story-telling, she could've had a whole different call sign.

"Well, Cowgirl, it's nice to have someone new around here for a change."

"It's nice to be welcomed."

"So I heard you came from Top Gun..." the girls trailed off, swapping stories of their time in the program. Natasha had been in a previous program. She also knew Hangman and absolutely despised him for his lack of care for anyone but himself. The girls knew they were going to be fast friends. And sure enough they were.