02

7 am came fast to the super hungover version of Sydney. She hated that whenever she drank she left the reparations for future Sydney to deal with. By 7:15, Phoenix was banging on her door and rushing her to base.

When they arrived the only open seats were next to Hangman and Rooster. Sydney mentally smacked herself and sat next to Hangman who shot her a smug smirk. "Don't even." was her only words before having to stand for Warlock.

As he went over the basics, Sydney was racking her brain to figure out who their instructor was going to be. She could hear them walking up from behind and so badly wanted to turn around.

"Your instructor is a Top Gun graduate with real world experience in every mission aspect you're expected to master. His exploits are legendary." He was getting closer. Sydney turned and caught a glimpse. Hell was about to break loose.

Pete looked out over the group, earning apprehensive looks from Payback, Coyote, and Hangman. Rooster couldn't stand the sight of him and Sydney was just happy to know he was the one to be teaching them. Maverick went through the usual blurb of information before tossing the book in the trash can next to the podium.

The group's first practice session had them up in the air as pairs so Maverick could assess their starting potential. Rooster went up first with Payback and Fanboy. Everyone else sat in the 'waiting room' as they listened in through the comms.

The objective of the lesson was for them to work together in an attempt to shoot him down. If they couldn't, then he would shoot them down.

"I think we need to put some skin in the game. This is an exercise after all." Payback said as they sat in the sky waiting for the fight to start.

"What're you thinking?" Rooster asked as he sat in a solo plane next to them.

"200 pushups. Make it a little fun."

"I like that idea." Maverick finally joined in having them look everywhere for him. He was sitting below them, just above the hard deck waiting for the right moment to attack. "Fights on."

"This guy needs an ego check." Hangman said as he stood beside Sydney. The guys who thought they would be able to achieve this 'ego check' agreed with him in low mumbles from throughout the room. Sydney rolled her eyes. She knew after years of hearing the stories from her father, Maverick wasn't the one to mess with.

"What do you think their chances are?" Natasha asked as she took the empty seat next to her friend.

"It's not sounding too hot." Coyote answered from the couch behind the two girls.

"They won't get him. But we will." Sydney responded with a smirk. They heard as they fought in the comms. Rooster had just saved Payback and Fanboy, resulting in him being shot down by Maverick.

As Sydney, Natasha, and Bob walked out to get in their aircraft, Rooster was holding down the tarmac with the pushups he was doing. Sydney stopped in front of him, wanting to say something remotely knowledgeable but couldn't find the right words.

"Either move or talk. You're blocking my sun, Cowgirl." Rooster spoke through struggled breathing. Sydney kept on walking to her aircraft. Her head was all over the place. She couldn't stop thinking about their brief conversation from the previous night. He was so worried about her history with Jake and not worried about how they just stopped talking to each other.

"Cowgirl!" Phoenix called over to her, "You ready?" Sydney shook herself off and got ready for their run. They managed to dip and dodge for as long as possible, but eventually Maverick got them both out and soon enough they were down on the tarmac as Harvard, Yale, and Fritz went up against Maverick.