01

"Wolfe, Trace." Their squad leader had called them into his office and waited for the rear admiral to arrive. Natasha and Sydney shared a look as the older man walked into the office. It was barely 8 in the morning and both girls were racking their brains to figure out what they had done to bring them both in.

"What did you do?" Natasha whispered over to Sydney. She shrugged not really knowing what she possibly could've done to earn her a warning this time. In her time since joining Phoenix, Sydney had become nothing but a red danger flag. She was ruthless and willing to do anything to complete a mission. She took "don't think" to a whole new level when she was in the air.

"Lieutenant Wolfe." their squad leader called her in and closed the door behind her.

"Admiral Blake."

"Lieutenant Wolfe, sit." the girl took a firm seat on the provided chair and awaited further instruction.

"You've been called here today to discuss something very important." He looked through her sigh and let out a satisfied sigh. "You have an astonishing record. A few medals as well as a history that raises concern for danger." Admiral Blake looked over to Sydney who tried her very hardest to keep a straight face and not give into the cheeky smile that was fighting to appear on her lips.

"Have I done something, sir?" She asked to hide the smile better. Sydney sat up confidently as she looked him in the eye.

"Nothing you aren't already aware of." He closed her file and looked to choose his next words carefully. "You have been posted. Specifically selected." Posted? To where?

"Can I ask where, sir?" Now more curious than ever.

"North Island." Sydney hadn't seen that part of California in nearly 8 years. She had left Top Gun and everything that came along with it in her rearview. "You were personally selected to return to Top Gun." Sydney was surprised to say the least.

"Just me sir?"

"You, Lieutenant Trace and 10 others." Sydney sat in the chair for a few more seconds, "You're dismissed." Admiral Blake said causing her to stand up.

"You leave as soon as possible. Get packing." he advised as she reached for the door. Natasha was waiting for any sign of good or bad news from her friend who said nothing before it was her turn to receive the news. Natasha walked out of the room 10minutes later and met Sydney out front of the building.

"Top Gun?" Natasha asked in disbelief. She couldn't wait to see who else was going to be there when they arrived.

"We better get packing." They returned back to their quarters and packed as much of their life they could into the 3 allowed bags before getting in a car and heading to the airport. In an hour they'd be landing and returning to their stomping grounds.

After getting their bags, they were greeted by a man holding a sign with both their names on it. "Ms. Wolfe & Ms. Trace?" he asked to confirm.

"Yes."

"Courtesy of Admiral Metcalf." The man took guided them to a car and placed their bags in the trunk before driving them to base.

"Viper?" Natasha questioned Sydney, knowing she didn't have the pull for this. Sydney didn't think she had this kind of pull either. Maybe she was wrong.

"I have no idea." She knew he taught her father but didn't know they had kept in touch for this long. It had been nearly 30 years.

The girls exchanged thank yous with the driver before he left them in front of their quarters. They had been met by the person in charge of assigning their places. The girls were put in the next to each other, leaving the opposite sides open to whoever.