21 || A Lovely Date

"Do you know what alchemy is?"

Aubrey furrowed his eyebrows looking up at Kellen with confusion. "A branch of magic?"

"Good answer, but no." Kellen shook his head, closing the book Aubrey was in the process of studying without being considerate enough to bookmark where Aubrey had stopped. "Alchemy is boring."

With a tired sigh, Aubrey crossed his arms. "What's fun then? Your rituals?"

"Yes, but that's not what I want to do today." Kellen told him with an undecipherable smile as he leaned on the book he had just rudely closed. Unfortunately, Agnes wasn't around to save Aubrey from the menace. He considered something for a moment before accepting that he had no real alternative other than to go along with Kellen's whims.

"Does it have to involve me?"

"Yes, of course." Kellen answered him as if it was a ridiculous question, and maybe it is since Kellen approached him with his, but Aubrey really didn't want to be involved. "I want us to go on a lovely date."

A wry laugh escaped Aubrey. "And if I refuse?"

"You'll be physically dragged, it's your choice." Kellen told him simply as if it was something so obvious. Considering who is speaking, Aubrey should have probably expected that.

"This is another one of your plans to 'chase me away', isn't it?" Despite his words, he still stood up from his chair already resigned to his fate. He knew he wouldn't be able to do any studying with Kellen around, and he also didn't want to test if Kellen was serious about physically dragging him there or not.

And maybe, just maybe, Aubrey was a little bit curious as to what was in store for him.

A sly grin was all he got in response, and he knew for certain that wherever they would go, it would be unpleasant. It'll be something to drive Aubrey away like that day in the graveyard, but not many things affected him, and digging up a whole skeleton kind of prepared him for the worst.

"I just want you to know what you're signing yourself up for by being with Agnes. I am doing you a favor." Kellen told him with feigned sincerity as he opened the door for him like the gentleman he is not. "It'll be fun, I promise."

"Right." Aubrey said not believing him for a second. "If being with Agnes was so horrible, why are you still here?"

"Because I am horrible, remember?"

Aubrey didn't disagree with that, but that didn't mean that he didn't want to know more. Kellen was the person who was around him most of the time other than Agnes, and yet Aubrey still knew next to nothing about him – other than the fact that he loved pushing people's buttons. If making people irritated was a talent, then Kellen was undeniably gifted.

"Come on, tell me. Isn't this a lovely date? Shouldn't we get to know each other?"

That made Kellen snort. "Using my words against me, huh?"

"There has to be a reason why you're still around Agnes." Aubrey pressed, not bothering to hide how much he wanted to know. That made Kellen sigh.

"She forced me to keep it a secret. If I tell you, I die."

"Hm." Aubrey accepted that because it did seem like he was being told the truth, and Agnes did have the tendency to threaten people, so he didn't press for more. "For how long have you been stuck with her?"

That made Kellen laugh. "For far too long."

"I am honestly amazed how you're still alive." There was no lie in there, he really was. Agnes primarily worked on deadly poisons, it would be so easy to just die from anything there. "Hopefully I can change that."