28 || Oblivious to Everything

The fact that he could cast nonexistent spells explained many things, and while this discovery seemed to be something extraordinary, he found that not a lot changed in his life.

Aubrey hadn't told anyone about his unique condition. Somehow, even with something that seems so amazing, he still felt like he was deficient in many ways. There were many, many spells that he couldn't cast because they existed, and many that were extremely useful.

The closest example he could think of was how he couldn't summon something of his that he needed or create a ball of light to illuminate his way because these spells could already be cast by others. Small insignificant things that seem like a small price to pay for what he has would actually make his life a lot more easier.

Not to mention that his ability brought unwanted attention to him.

It explained why a whole cult was after him, if he decided to believe what Kellen had told him, and it seems plausible that they'd want someone who could cast spells nobody else could. His spells were almost reality-warping – actually no, that might be the case – and it's so much power with little uses.

Then again, maybe it's his imagination restricting him. Maybe he just needs to be a little bit more creative.

It was hard to be creative when one needs to be, and Aubrey found himself staring blankly at Kellen who was focused on drawing something on a piece of paper in front of him. Something that suspiciously resembled a ritual, so he decided not to go near that as his finger tapped thoughtfully on the wooden table.

However, looking at Kellen inspired an idea that made him pause.

Since he was a liar, it was hard to know when he was telling the truth and when he's not. Aubrey did not bother to confirm if a cult really was after him or not. After all, Aubrey had only seen one necromancer who was supposedly a part of the alleged cult. A spell was already forming in his hand as he thought about it, and his mind was stuck on what that cult – if it was real – wanted to do with him.

For a moment he felt stupid for wondering that because he knew they wanted to use him, but in that same moment written notes appeared in his hand making him blink at them in surprise.

Aubrey sat there staring at them quietly with only the sounds of the crow moving about in his cage that filled the silence he sat in. For once, he wished that it had been a lie made up by Kellen, but if the notes in his hand told him anything, it was that it wasn't.

Kellen had been telling the truth.

"Is resurrection possible?" Aubrey found himself asking, interrupting whatever ritual Kellen was about to complete. The other turned back to look at him with a confused look since the question seemed like it came out of nowhere.

"Why do you ask?"

The notes were placed on the table as Aubrey gulped down the nervousness he felt, and he couldn't help but stare at one sentence in particular. "Because apparently you can enslave people if you do it successfully..."

A scowl appeared on Kellen's face, and he forgot about his ritual as he walked up to the notes on the table. They were written neatly detailing how a resurrection could be done using a ritual. The research that had to be done to come close to this knowledge had to be extensive.

"See? This is what happens when you go asking questions. You discover a cult is trying to enslave you." Kellen snorted nonchalantly as his gaze lingered on a few parts in the written notes. It was a ritual he wasn't familiar with, and it was a lot more complicated than any he had seen before.

He was studying the papers with genuine interest while Aubrey glared up at him.

"You really know how to make someone feel better."