Chapter 2: Thief

The scratching heat of April was the worst thing that can happen. Right?

Wrong.

Topping the misery was the humid air. Pihu was drenched in sweat. Her uniform was stuck to her back. It was a very uncomfortable afternoon indeed. Pihu did not let the treacherous heat hinder her spirit. Her lips were adoring a beautiful smile. She was walking down the street, clutching her backpack when a boy caught her attention. A lean and lanky boy waiting at the bus station.

"Hey" She playfully hopped towards the boy.

"Umm" the boy turned back to see if someone was standing behind him.

"I am talking to you" Pihu came close to the boy. "Arnt you the same guy who was punched down to the dirt by Polash da a couple of months ago?"

The boy blinked several times. It was very offensive and rude. This little girl was unbelievable.

"Why were you lying on the road? Why were you taking his punches? You should stand up for yourself." She was glaring at the boy. Her hands were on her hips. "I will not rescue you next time. If you don't defend yourself next time then I will punch you myself."

The boy had an amused expression on his face.

"What is your name?" She inquired.

"Jodhojit" He said.

"My name is Paramatmika Banerjee. But you can call me Pihu. Everybody does" Pihu chirruped.

He just nodded.

"What is your Daaknaam? You have a long name." She frowned.

"I don't have one" His voice had a hint of sadness.

"What? Everybody has a Daaknaam." She was astonished.

"I don't" He repeated.

Pihu could sense the sad tone.

"Fine. Since we are friends now, I will call you Jeet" She said with a determined smile.

Jeet was wondering all along when exactly did he agree to their friendship. He was about to voice his opinion but Pihu caught hold of a corner of his school uniform. She started tucking on it.

"Come let us have lunch at Dipu masi's place. It is her birthday today, so both the family are having lunch together.

"Umm...Pi..Pihu. It's ok. I don't want to bother anybody" He said while he was being dragged by his new friend.

Everybody was amazed at how a five feet boy was being dragged under the influence of a three-foot-nothing.

"No. Absolutely not. You are coming with me." She said in an adamant voice. " Also Dipu masi's payesh is to die for. You will thank me later" She concluded.

"Pihu...I can't" He tried again.

"Why?" She halted on her steps to face him.

"Because I am not invited," Jeet said in a matter-of-fact way.

"Well !! Jeet I invite you to the get-together." Pihuu said in a formal tone " Is this enough or you need a written invitation?" She mocked.

"Pihu..." Jeet tried again.

"Jeet...I will drag you anyway" Pihu shrugged.

After a 20 minutes walk in the scorching afternoon sun, they were standing in front of a large polished wooden door. Small flowers were carved on the door. Pihu was hopping to reach the doorbell. She was a tiny little thing. Jeet smiled at her and pressed the bell for her. They could hear people laughing inside. After a moment the door opened to reveal a beautiful woman in her 40s. She had black curly hair neatly tucked into a bun. Her smile was soothing to the eyes.

"Maa", Pihu's excited voice broke Jeet's trance.

"Pihu Shona, where were you? Everybody is waiting for you. Freshen up fast and come for lunch." She said with a smile, stepping back to let Pihu in. That is when her eyes landed on Jeet.

"Maa, this is Jeet. He is my new friend. I invited him for lunch." Pihu said while looking at Jeet.

"Of course Bachha. Come in Jeet" Pihu's mother welcomed Jeet with teh sweetest smile.

Jeet stepped inside the hose following Pihu. He looked around with curiosity. The living room was pretty big. The wooden furniture was simple but had an expensive look to it.

"Jeet, this is my mother and father" Pihu pulled Jeet by his sweaty hand. Jeet smiled at a tall man of almost 50, Sudeep Bannerjee, and the same woman who greeted them at the door, Beena Bannerjee. He bent forwards to touch their feet.

"Be blessed" Both the elders blessed him.

"And this is Aroop Mesho. Dipu Masi must be in the kitchen" Pihu nudged him towards another man. He was shorter than Pihu's father but he had a kind smile. Jeet touched his feet out of respect. Aroop caressed his back and blessed him.

"What a sweet boy?" Everyone turned towards the voice to find Dipu Masi walking towards the dining table with a bowl in her hand but her eyes were on Jeet.

"Jeet that is Dipu Masi. She makes really good Payesh." Pihu introduced her to Jeet.

Jeet touched Dipu Masi's feet.

"Bless you baccha. What is your name?" Dipu asked caressing his cheeks with motherly affection.

"Jodhojeet" Jeet replied in a meek little voice. He was fighting the threatening tears. He has never experienced what it was like to have a mother.

"Masi, you can call hm Jeet. I named him Jeet. You know he did not have a Daaknaam. So I gave him one" Pihu's sweet little explanation warmed Jeet's heart. He was smiling ear to ear. But his happiness was short-lived.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?" A voice roared from the stairs. Everybody's head flicked towards the stairs. A raging Kailash stormed down the stairs followed by an equally angry Palash. A small girl followed them with a confused expression - Diotima Bannerjee, Pihu's sister.

"How dare you set your filthy foot inside this house?" Roared Palash. The elders were shocked by this sudden behavior of the twins. The twins were mischievous but never ill-mannered.

"Palash, is this the way to talk to your guest? This is what have taught you?" Aroop, the twins' father bellowed while walking toward the battleground.

"Guest? Baba, he is a thief. He steals from the boys of the colony" Kailash replied. 

Hello,

I hope you will enjoy the story. Please, vote comment, and follow me.