Chapter 15: Alone in the Dark

Dear Lovelies,

Here is an update for you all. Please enjoy.

Love

W

"Does it hurt?" Palash asked Kailash as he tapped on Kailash's right knee.

"No", Kailash growled with pain yet denying it. It was a beautiful evening. The soothing breeze of Ganga caressed their cheeks as Kailash, Palash, Shubh, and Jeet sat on the soft grass of the lawn. Jeet and Shubh broke out laughing.

"So...you are finally leaving, huh?" Kailash asked with a sad smile.

"Yeah." Jeet replied with a heavy sigh. It has been a week since his results were out. He secured a position in AIIMS Delhi. His rank was in the tailing end, yet he was happy with his performance. He completed all his admission formalities. Aroop and Sudip helped him a lot. In fact, Sudip accompanied him to Delhi and even paid his fees. Jeet had his savings set aside, but Sudip would not budge.

"I would have asked you to stay, but....." Kailash could not finish his sentence. The door of the terrace opened with a creek. Pihu peeped in, but her face hardened as soon as she saw Jeet.

"Dipu Masi is calling you all downstairs." She announced and left quickly. For the past month, Pihu tried to convince Jeet to stay back. She threatened him, blackmailed him and even pleaded with him, but he was desperate to leave. Since he was back from Delhi, Pihu shunned him away. It was Jeet's turn to plead with her. To get her to talk to him. Even a word would do. But she would not spare a glance.

"Aii..chol chol..." Palash got on his feet and helped Kailash on his feet. Kailash could now walk very slowly with the help of a crutch. Both the family had gathered at the Muherjee's for a celebratory dinner. What was the celebration about? Of course, Jeet. Both the Muherjees and Bannerjees were very proud of the boy. On the downside, the extended family was also invited. The boys hated the guts of the gossiping cousins but had to behave for their parent's sake.

"...as if." A squeaky feminine voice could be heard as the boys slowly reached the threshold of the terrace door. It was Kailash's cousin Riya. She came with a couple of her college friends. They were clearly gossiping about someone. The girls seem to be sitting in the twins' room in the first floor. The boys ignored their voices until they heard Jeet's name. At precisely the exact moment, Tima, along with Pihu, appeared in the lower fleet of stares. They also halted on their steps for the same reason.

"Who knew Jeet was so good? I thought he was just a simple nerd." Riya's voice came out of the room.

"Seriously. It's too bad he is an orphan; otherwise, I would have married him." The sickening laughter echoed through the corridors. Jeet's ears turned red. He looked at Pihu. All these years, he had heard many things about himself behind his back. Every time, Pihu had made sure people regretted saying things about him, but right now, she just stood there like a statue.

"Huh, maybe Pihu can marry him now." Riya's friend said. Jeet's eyes widened as he looked at Pihu. "Because of Tima, no one in their right mind would ever marry those girls."

"Why?"

"Don't you know? She was assaulted. Like assaulted that way."

"No. I don't think so." Riya's voice was doubtful.

"Oh please, Riya. Tima used to meet that guy every day. She was found a way past midnight. Do you think she was left untouched?" The unknown voice had venom in it. Jeet could not tear his eyes away from Pihu. His trance broke as he sensed violent movement behind him. He turned to find Palash and Shubh holding a struggling Kailsh back. Kailash's face turned red with rage.

"Kailash, those are just vile gossip. Let us not react." Palash tried to shove some sense in his twin's head.

"Kailash, we cannot shut every mouth. These rumours will die down eventually. Please do not lose your cool." Shubh managed to calm down Kailash a bit. Jeet turned back to Pihu to find the sisters gone. He immediately climbed down the stairs, taking two at a time.

He frantically searched for Pihu. He knew she was hurt. He knew she was hiding in a corner. He wanted to find the corner. He ran out of the mansion. His cheek felt wet. He realized he was crying at that moment. He took a turn and ran towards the backyard. It was dark, pitch dark. But the darkness could not hide Pihu from Jeet. Jeet found Pihu hugging her knees, sitting under a tree. He cautiously stepped towards her. Her body was wracked with violent sobs as she buried her face in her knees.

"Pihu..." He called out for her. "Pihu..."He sat beside her. His back rested on the trunk of the tree. "Pihu...listen." He gently rested his palm on her head, "Listen to me once...please."

Pihu raised her head. Her eyes were red and puffed. Her nose and cheeks had turned red. She could barely open her puffed eyes.

"J...Jeet." her body was shaking like a leaf. Tears rolled down her cheeks. "P..Ple..please don't leave me ...me alone...p..please." Her pleading eyes held pain. Before Jeet could react, Pihu hugged him. "Jeet...please...please stay."

"Pihu" Jeet realised the position they were in. His back was pressed against the tree trunk, and Pihu was saddling him. Her face was buried in the nook of his neck as he held her tightly to his chest. He closed his eyes. He knew this was wrong, but he wanted to be selfish for one moment. He wanted to hold the girl he loved just for one moment. He wanted her to be his just for this one moment. He held her thigh as he felt soft lips press against his. This was the moment he longed for. He leaned, pressing his lips against those soft lips. His arms pulled his love towards him. He wanted never to let go. He wanted to melt in this moment without a single care. He wanted to....

Jeet's eyes flew open to see Pihu's closed one. He froze as panic gripped him. What was he doing? Pihu's lips were still moving over his. His heart dropped to the pit of his stomach. The very thing he was trying to protect is dead and gone. He shattered it with his own two hands. His friendship was gone...

He pushed Pihu violently. She was jerked away and landed on the ground. The expression on her face was beyond shock. Both of them could not move a muscle.

"Jee–" Pihu's meek voice sounded uncertain.

"Let's get inside," Jeet said curtly. He got up and started walking towards the mansion, leaving Pihu alone in the dark.

"