Chapter 10: Not Good Enough

Dear Lovelies,

Here is another update. I hope you like it. Please vote, comment and follow for more.

Love

W

"Did you answer this one?" Jeet asked Pihu, pointing to a question on her question paper. Both were going through the nightmare of most Indian students - Boards. Pihu nodded her head like an obedient child. "What about this one? We practised this one yesterday night." Jeet scrutinised the poor girl. She nodded her head again. "And this one?" Jeet asked again. Pihu did not answer him. She just bowed her head, occasionally peeking through her lashes. "Pihu?" Jeet raised his brows.

"I tried but could not get the answer correct." She murmured while keeping her eyes on the ground.

"But you have done this like a thousand times." Jeet's voice was a tone higher. Pihu drew small circles on the ground with her foot. "Pihu?" Jeet pulled her chin up with his finger.

"It was difficult." She murmured. Jeet just shook his head and sighed. Suddenly, the question paper flew out of Jeet's fingers. Jeet's head shot up to see Shubh standing behind him. The question paper was in his hand.

"Why are you bothering my Pihu?" Shubh glared at Jeet. He held Pihu by her shoulders. "You cannot change the answers now." Shubh shrugged. Jeet just tightened his jaws. Nowadays, Shubh was getting on his nerves nowadays. He was being territorial about Pihu, which was ticking Jeet off. What Jeet hated the most was how Pihu reacted to Shubh. She would smile and nod.

"Jeet, she will do fine. Don't worry too much..." Shubh tried to assure Jeet. "..otherwise you will get premature wrinkles." Shubh cracked a joke. Pihu giggled. Jeet's annoyance was written all over her face.

"She needs good marks to elect her subject in eleventh, you know?" Jeet said sarcastically.

"WOO...chill. As I said, she will do fine. Anyways, I will drop her back home." Shubh said. He gently patted Pihu's head and gave a nod towards his bike. Pihu was more than happy to be freed from Jeet's clutches. "Do you want to have Churmur on the way back home?" Shubh asked her as the three walked towards his bike.

Jeet looked at Pihu. She was busy telling Shubh about some girl in school who fainted during the exam. Although Jeet was glad that she was getting back to her old self, bit by bit, he found himself envious of their relationship. Shubh was still trying his best to woo her, and Jeet, as promised, was trying to help him, but it was not as easy for Jeet as he had thought.

"Why are you holding her hand?" Jealousy slithered like a serpent in Jeet's chest.

"I am helping her get on the bike," Shubh replied confusedly. Jeet couldn't say much, but all he wanted to do was snatch his Pihu away and hide her in his pocket, but he couldn't. Although he perceived Shubh as a threat to his friendship with Pihu and wanted all her attention, he knew that Shubh would be there for Pihu all his life. He was unsure whether he would return to this place if he left this city.

"Jeet, will you come for dinner today? I will make payesh (Kheer) for dessert." Pihu tilted her head. Her head touched Shubh's shoulder. Jeet had a sudden urge to rip off Shubh's shoulders.

"No", Jeet replied rudely. His rude tone took Pihu aback, but Shubh sped off before she could react.

The dinner table was set. The twins, along with Shubh, were sitting on the couch. The elders were chatting around. Pihu came out of the kitchen, cautiously holding a big serving bowl full of Payesh.

"Maa, I am done. Let us start with the dinner." Pihu called out. Her eyes slowly turned towards the entrance. She was expecting Jeet but gave up on all her hopes as the night deepened.

"Pihu, the Payesh smells yum." Shubh smiled at Pihu as the boys walked towards the dining table. "But where is Tima?" He asked, looking around.

"She is at her friend's place. They are doing group studies for the upcoming exam." Beena replied as she pulled her chair.

"Group studies for sixth standard maths?" Kailash asked her with a questioning look. Beena just shrugged her shoulders.

"I don't know. Kids these days have different ways." Beena sighed. "We will never understand." The worry and concern were evident in her voice. "Anyways, where is Jeet?" She asked, looking around. Pihu lowered her head in disappointment. She felt broken from the inside. Although Jeet had never said it aloud yet, she could feel that Jeet had no intentions of returning to Kolkata if he left this place. Even the thought without Jeet breaks her heart. He was trying her best to convince Jeet not to go away and erase himself from her life. Lately, Jeet had started acting strange, and she had no idea why. She bit her lips to hide her hurt.

"He is busy, Masi. He is studying...." Shubho's explanation was cut short by the doorbell. Palash opened the door to find Jeet standing on the other side. Jeet smiled at Palash and walked inside. He greeted everyone except Shubho and Pihu, but the smile did not reach his eyes.

Dinner is always loud and chatty when both families are together. Everyone was happy with life, even with a few hiccups. After dinner, the adults went to the terrace for fresh air and "not for children" gossip. Kailash took little Mishti inside Pihu's room to take her to bed, followed by Pihu. Palash was busy stacking the leftovers in the fridge. There was peace in the air, too much peace for Jeet's liking.

"You know, you are hurting her." Jeet frowned as Shubho sat beside him. Jeet kept a stoic face. "If you love her so much, why push her towards me? Why not keep her, protect her and love her for yourself?" hurt was painted all over Shubh's face. Jeet just sighed.

"I am her friend," Jeet murmured. " She is too good for me. She deserves better." Jeet's gaze was fixed on his spoon.

"Are you for real?" Shubh asked. He could not believe his ears. This time, Jeet looked into his eyes with a sad smirk.

"Tell me, Shubh, you are the handsome guy with a golden spoon. Those two..."Jeet pointed towards the back of Palash. "...are the hottest guys alive in our school. But who am I? The nerdy orphan?" Jeet was frustrated. "My Pihu deserves the best; you are the best for her." He declared with pain in his voice.

"You are a coward, Jeet." Shubh retorted. There was a cold silence between the two boys. They looked into each other's eyes—one with pain, the other with disgust. The sudden phone ring broke the freezing silence between the two boys. Palash ushed towards the phone, which was kept on the dining table.

"Ha Meenakshi bol (Tell me, Meenakshi) ", Palash answered the call. His brows scrunched in confusion. "But...but.." Palash stuttered. This caught Shubh and Jeet's attention. "But she was supposed to be at your place for group study.", Palash blabbered out. His face was pale. He nodded and disconnected the phone. By now, Shubh and Jeet rushed towards a visibly pale Palash. They didn't have to ask him the question.

"Tima is not at Meenakshi's place. In fact, she never went to her place for group studies." Palash gulped his anxiety.

"Then where is she right now?" Jeet asked in a severe tone.