Chapter 8: Heartbreak

Dear Lovelies,

I hope you are enjoying the story so far. Do let me know who your favourite character is so far.  Please vote, comment and follow for more. 

Love

W

"The number you have dialled is talking to someone else. Please hold the line or dail again later."

The other side of the phone line was constantly busy for half an hour now. A frustrated Kailash just redialed the number. The kids were standing in front of Alipore Zoo Gate. They were waiting for Akash. It was a Sunday morning, and everyone wanted to visit the Zoo. Akash was supposed to meet them at the zoo gate. He went to visit one of his school friends earlier.

"Whom does he keep talking to?" Kailash gritted his teeth. He gave up and shoved his phone in his pocket. "And what are you wearing?" He asked harshly, pointing at little Tima. She was nine now. Her body indicated signs of adolescence, and so did her mind. Tima's parents were off to her pishi's (maternal aunt) place this morning, so she dressed like she wanted to without any intervention. She wore a tank top with a short skirt. She had rubbed some maroon lipstick on her eyelids, cheekbones and lips. Her kajal was mismatched and smeared.

"I...I.." Tima stammered. "Puchan said I look good in a skirt and makeup."She confessed while looking down. She felt something cover her shoulders. She lifted her head to see Kailash covering her with his jacket. The riding jacket reached below her knees. The Mukherjee boys were tall. "But..." Tima tried to protest.

"You will not go anywhere looking like that." Kailash flickered his finger up and down. Tima wanted to throw the jacket away, but one glare from Kailash turned her into a scardy cat. Pihu gave her an "I told you so" look. Jeet just shook his head in disapproval.

"There he is." Pihu almost jumped out of excitement as she spotted Akash from afar. He was having an animated conversation over the phone as he approached them. He halted midway and smiled at something the person on the phone said. Pihu's heart skipped a beat. She wished he would smile that way at her once. Soon, Akash ended the conversation and shoved the phone in his pocket.

"Whom do you keep talking to all the time?" Kailash asked. Kailash had a hint of annoyance in his voice. "We are already late." He said, pointing towards his watch. Pihu rolled her eyes. According to her, Kailash was a drama queen. Can't a man live his life in peace for a moment?

The whole gang was having a gala time in the zoo. The girls were running from exhibit to exhibit. Pihu loved the fish pond, so she dragged Jeet to it. Shubh and Kailash follwed them. Tima, Palash and Akash stood beside the ice cream parlour, waiting their turn.

"They are pretty..." Pihu chimed as she and Shubh fed the fish. Shubh smiled and nodded his head. He adjusted the umbrella he was holding over her head. Kailash and Jeet stood behind them.

"What are you staring at?" Kailash asked. Jeet was staring at Pihu and Shubh.

"A messy heartbreak." Jeet shrugged. Kailash looked from Shubh to Pihu and back to Jeet. His eyes widened in realisation. His lips formed an "O". The boys kept staring at Pihu and Shubh for a long time.

"Was I rude?" Kailash asked again.

"You are always rude." Jeet retorted. His eyes were still on Pihu's back. He felt a light punch on his shoulder. He diverted his attention to Kailash again.

"Was I too rude to Tima?" He asked again. Jeet tilted his head.

"Yes, you were right, but your way of handling things was wrong," Jeet replied. Kailash just nodded his head and turned it towards the ice cream parlour. Palash and Tima were holding three ice cream cones each. Akash was a few yards away from them, talking over the phone. A frown appeared on Kailash's face.

"I can't go tomorrow," Pihu said stubbornly. She had a gift-wrapped box in her hand. "Akashda is leaving tomorrow. I want to see him off." She concluded.

"But how can you skip your annual school trip? You might not have the same friends next year." Jeet reasoned. "Well, correction. You will definitely not have the same friends next year. Everyone will elect a different subject."

"Right, but Akashda is more important than some random class trip." Pihu shrugged. "I will make new friends next year and go with..." Pihu stopped midway. She stared at Jeet as if she saw him for the first time. Jeet scrunched his brows in confusion.

"What?" He asked.

"You will also leave next year." She whispered. Her face had a tragic look. Her eyes teared up instantly. Jeet jumped out of the bean bag he was sitting on and cupped her cheeks.

"Hey...why would you cry like that?" He wiped her tears with the back of his hand. "...besides, I still have to pass my entrance exam." He smiled.

"Oh, you will top the exams. You get perfect scores in those mock tests." Pihu had gifted a medical entrance mock test package to Jeet on his birthday. Jeet just chuckled. "Would you come back on vacation?" Pihu's next question caught him off guard. Although the Mukherjees and Banerjees felt like family, would he return to this place once he leaves? He was not sure about it. He just lowered his head.

"You will, right?" She asked again. There was a speck of desperation in her voice. Jeet did not want to answer the question, so he smiled.

"Aren't you getting late?" He asked as he tapped on his watch. Pihu slapped her forehead with her tiny hand. They were invited to the Mukherjee's for dinner. She combed her hair and then combed Jeet's unruly hair for him. They both made their way to Mukherjee as the Sun settled on the horizon.

The dinner was a noisy affair. It was always noisy when the Muherjees and Banarjees met, but today, it was somehow messier than other days. Pihu had an unsettling feeling. A feeling of loss, a feeling of despair.

"Are you alright?" Shubh asked. He had two glasses of Roohafza in his hands. Pihu just nodded. Shubh placed one of the glasses before her and gestured for her to drink it. "You don't look good." They both sat in silence. Pihu saw Jeet talking to Akash about something. They both were having a serious conversation.

"Aii Akash. Where are your friends? You said you have invited your friends?" Dipu Masi asked as she placed the serving bowl of Biriyani on the dining table. As if to reply to her question, the doorbell rang. Kailash opened the door and peeped outside.

"Is this Akash Mukherjee's house?" A delicate feminine voice spoke. Kailash turned towards Akash, who had a nervous look on his face. Kailash just nodded and let her in.

She was the most beautiful woman Pihu had ever seen. She had long hair and rosy cheeks. Her eyelashes were long, making her jet-black eyes look beautiful. The pink saree she wore made her look like a goddess. As soon as she entered the house, she folded her hands and bowed a little.

"Nomoshkar." She greeted all the elders. Akash nervously crossed the living room to stand beside her.

"M..Maa, she is Arnapurna Karmakar. She studies with me." He stammered a bit. Everyone in the room just stared at them. "She is a friend." He looked at Dipu Masi.

"Akash?" Dipu Masi raised her brows. "Only a friend?" She asked. Annapurna shifted a bit to make some distance between them. She lowered her head.

"Maa..I mean.." Akash sighed and straightened his frame. "She is my girlfriend. I wanted to introduce her to you so I don't have to hide anything." Akash blurred out. The whole room went silent. Jeet's eyes were fixed on Pihu, and so was her mother's. Pihu had a stoic expression on her face.

"Masi..." Pihu's voice broke the chilling silence. "Masi, I need to leave early. I have a class trip tomorrow. Can we start with the dinner?" She asked with a smile.