33: AMAL

It's almost 10AM and we're set to leave. That doesn't mean I don't have more tears to shed.

"It's okay, Amal." Baba says softly, still patting my back as he holds me beside him. "It's okay."

It was hard to fall asleep last night with the excitement of getting married still running in my veins. I did sleep but only for about three hours before we all woke up to pray. It was then the reality of everything hit. I was leaving my parents' house for my in-laws. While I have left the house many times, this one is different and we all know it.

Breakfast was hard to stomach and I ended up taking my things to Mama and Baba's room so I could eat with them and Mahmud. The tears began there and it only got worse when they parted with advice I'll hold dear to my heart throughout my time in Kano. Baba didn't cry and Mahmud's didn't too. Mama cried and I really appreciated her not trying to hide her tears from me.

My grandmothers and aunts had more advice to give after my parents did and they rounded up just mere minutes ago.

Mama walks into the family lounge, sniffling. "Are you guys ready?"

I nod. "Yeah, we are."

"Toh, let's get your cape."

My outfit is simple; a black A-line dress sewn out of embellished lace and its accompanying cape sewn out of the same chiffon used for my headpiece. I put on my shoes as my friends take their things down to the awaiting bus. Mama returns with my cape a minute later and she helps me put it on while everyone else stands and watches.

She blinks back her tears, her smiles sad

She blinks back her tears, her smiles sad. "Allahumma baarik, Amal." Her eyes meet mine. "You'll be back soon In Shaa Allah. Stay safe, okay?"

I nod, managing to smile back. "Okay." I hug her. "I love you, Mama."

"I love you too, Amal."

There are last hugs and Mahmud's the longest which I appreciate. The hood of my cape is pulled over my head to hide my face and my aunts who will be taking me on behalf of my family take my hands and lead the way, both of them being careful since the only thing I can see is the ground and our feet.

We're in the car soon enough and halfway to the airport, Zayd calls. I sniffle, bringing the phone to my ear. "Sa'ed."

"Amal...You okay?"

I hum in reply. "I just need a moment but I'll be perfect before we arrive in Kano. We're close to the airport."

"Alright then. I'm waiting for you. We're waiting for all of you."

I smile, unable to help it. "We'll be there soon In Shaa Allah."

"In Shaa Allah. Please cheer up, sweetheart."

I let out a small laugh. I really do love him and he's the only one able to get this reaction out of me right now. "I will."

"I'll call you later to ask if you've landed."