44: AMAL

Hussayna: Your husband's on his way home! He just left the company with a lot of gifts and this architect of yours has no idea you have a surprise planned for him. Better send us pictures, Amal! Also, let's hang out soon. I love you.

I smile and type out a reply. "I love you too."

When the phone is back on the vanity, I return to my reflection. The woman staring back at me physically has never looked better. Her skin's clear and her hair is much longer; something Zayd loves a lot. The weight she lost is back and it suits her. Mentally though, she's getting there.

I sigh and get started on my make-up. I keep it simple and make sure it matches the sage green I'm wearing which is made out of the lightest chiffon and inner lining. Asma made it and at this point, she's ruined every other fashion designer's work for me. She's a good friend too and I'm always grateful Hussayna introduced her to us.

Today is August 31st, Zayd's birthday. I initially wanted to throw a small party for him but decided against it. I ended up converting the living room into some sort of picnic scene from a fairytale movie. We would have had it outside but the weather has been unstable. The last thing I want is rain coming out of nowhere and ruining everything.

Also, it's been a while since Zayd and I have had something this intimate. I'm to blame. Even if no one's saying it, I know I'm not blame and I'm doing all I can to get better.

This year has to be my worst and it's the only year I've hit rock bottom. I was getting better after our medical trip, or at least that's what I thought. In the first week of May, I found out we were having a baby and I did get excited. It was the most bizarre thing because Zayd and I weren't planning on having one. A few days later though, history was repeating itself and I don't remember much but I do remember wanting to end it all because I was drained. There's only so much grief a person can take.

It was a selfish move and I regret it. Since the day I woke up and saw just how that decision of mine broke everyone, I regretted it. If I could turn back the time, I would and I would make sure everything happened differently. Unfortunately, I can't turn back the time. I can only get better while hoping Zayd gets better too. I've broken him more than enough.

I brush out my hair once more when I'm done with my make-up. With one last look in the mirror, I leave the room and head down. Blankets are spread out in the living room and on them are covered foil dishes filled with sweet and savoury treats. There's a cake and canned drinks too. Then there's the gift I picked out. I hope he likes it. Ah, let's not forget the balloons.

I pour more turaren wuta in the kasko and put it aside before I put on the fairy lights Stephanie put up with my supervision. The end result is lovely but I'm nervous. I really, really want him to like it. It doesn't take long for me to hear the gates go open and then his car drives in. That reminds me, he mentioned us going car shopping whenever I'm up for it. We'll probably discuss that later.

I leave the living room and wait in the foyer, remembering to grab the rose I made earlier. Origami craft is work yet this man made me bouquets a while back. I really do love him. It takes exactly five minutes for the door to open and I smile at him while he does a double take. I don't blame him. It's been long since I made an extra effort when I wasn't going out.

"Happy Birthday!"

He gives me the softest smile that warms every inch of me. "Amal, seriously..." He steps in. "I should have known better than to believe Catherine when she said you were busy at work today so you forgot about my birthday."

I raise a brow. "Did you really expect me to forget?"

He shrugs. "I don't even know."

I hold out the rose. It's an orange rose and that's because the craft shop did not have the right colour of origami paper. "I made this for you. I'm no craftsman but I think I did good."