Track 25: Complicated

Friday night, my patient Darren had a home game, so even though work was long and exhausting, I planned to go. Jordan was on vacation this week, so I missed our lunches or random breaks just to chat. I didn't realize how much those small interactions kept me upbeat. I ate my lunches at work and chatted with Quintin and Heather, two physical therapists. Mostly just commiserating about the heavier workload. Rumor had it Ann interviewed one potential new therapist. If all went well, we would at least have some help soon.

I got home around 6 with just enough time to shower and change into skinny jeans and a maroon razorback tank, one of Darren's school colors, before heading to the game. I was pulling my hair up into a ponytail when I received a text.

Jake- Hey. Working late?

Me- No. I'm off. Getting ready to head to Lewisville for Darren's game.

Jake- Cool. Give me 10 minutes and I'll come pick you up.

Me- Sounds good 😊

After I fixed my bangs out of my face and stepped into the heels Jake bought me, I went downstairs to wait for him. He called me on my way down the stairs. I ignored it and left.

Jake was sitting in his SUV, frowning at his phone. I tapped on the hood before walking to the passenger side. He watched me as I hopped in.

"I was just texting you about not answering your phone." He informed me.

I leaned over to kiss him.

"I was walking out the door when you called so you know what you can do with that text." I said, pulling back to put on my seatbelt.

"Delete it?" He asked, starting up the car.

"Not what I was going to suggest, but that works." I replied.

He smiled as we took off. I navigated to the school stadium and we headed inside. I already knew Rachel wasn't coming. She had dinner with her parents. Forrest invited me to hang out on the sidelines if I promised to water the benches (give water to whatever group was sitting on the bench) and try not to distract the boys. As tempting as that sounded to relive my high school fantasy, I was going to have to pass to hang with Jake.

The team was already on the field stretching. Well, most of the team. I saw Darren heading out of the tunnels to the locker room. His girlfriend waited at the end. As we walked to the stands, I called out to him.

"Hey Superman! Go stretch!!!" I yelled.

Darren looked over at us and grinned. "I'm going. I had to get my ankles taped. Are you coming too? Coach Sullivan said you'll be helping out." He asked.

"Nope. Tell him, unfortunately, I'm taking my talents to the stands. Good luck!" I answered.

"Alright. See ya later!" Darren said. He waved to his girlfriend before running to join his team.

"Whoa, he's fast." Jake commented.

"You have no idea." I said, watching as Darren's girlfriend gave me an evil eye. This time I didn't stare back. I ignored her.

We went to the concession stand right before half-time. Darren didn't have any touchdowns, but he had a lot of yards. He had a couple of runs for over 30 yards. I held on to Jake as we made our way down the stairs.

"Why did you wear those shoes?" Jake asked as he saw me struggling down the stairs.

"Practice. If I can master the stairs, I can master anything." I told him.

"Looks like the stairs are mastering you."

"Shut up!" I exclaimed.

We were standing in line when I received a call from Sandra, my new boss. I groaned and stepped out of line.