Prologue

We've all had one thing which has completely changed our life. That one thing, without which your life would be completely different. For me, it was a fancy lilac envelope.

It was the seventeenth of July, 2013 when I first saw it. I was rummaging through my mother's desk looking for a stapler when I found it. It was a large lilac envelope with the words 'Ms. Valerie Valentine, 109, Andromeda Street, Parkonsville' elegantly written on it. Since it was addressed to me, I was slightly surprised. I never received letters. I hesitantly opened the envelope and took out the white paper inside it. As soon as I read the first line, I knew my life would change forever.

I stormed out of the study and into the den on the lower floor where my parents were casually sipping expensive wine. On my walking in, the instantly knew something was wrong.

"Honey, what's wr-"

I cut my mother short by frantically waving the letter in her face.

"When were you going to tell me, huh? Once I'd been accepted?" I practically yelled at them. I was very mad.

"Sweetheart, sit down," said my father calmly, patting the spot on the couch next to him. I crossed my arms across my chest, but sat down next to him nonetheless.

"We planned on telling you today," said my mother, sitting down on my other side. I let a very unfeminine snort which mad her wrinkle her nose in disgust.

"If that's your excuse. But didn't you think you could at least ask me first? I mean, it is my life."

"Valerie, you know you have no say in the matter," said my father, stroking my hair. I slapped his hand away and scowled. Being the child of the two most powerful and rich people in the city meant not being allowed to make your decisions for yourself.

"Did I get in?" I was unsure of whether I wanted to know the answer or not.

"Yes, you did and you leave in a month. "

I sighed at my father's response. So it was really happening. My life was going to change forever.

***

The next month flew by, mostly because I spent the days locked up in my room and ignoring my family. It was finally the day I had to leave. As I loaded my last bag in the boot of the car, my sister, Scarlett, came over and rubbed my head.

"Hey there, kiddo." I looked up at her. She looked exactly like me, and most people thought we were twins. Her chestnut eyes shown, but could see a flicker of sadness in them. I never expected my sister to be upset that I was leaving since we were never really close. But then again, being alone with my parents for six years was enough to make anyone sad.

I gave her a small smile as I shut the boot. "Hey."

"I'm going to miss you, you know. But you have fun."

"Yes, of course. I'm going to have so much fun with a bunch of annoying rich brats," I said sarcastically. She laughed and gave me a one-armed hug.

"Oh, you'll enjoy. Trust me."

I got into the backseat and slammed the door shut. I waved to my sister as my father pulled onto the driveway.

The car ride was pretty silent except for the occasional humming along with the radio. I stared blankly outside the window without paying much attention to my surroundings. I only became aware of where we were when I saw the large eighteenth-century English castle-esque building loom up ahead of us.

"Woah."

It was huge and beautiful. There were many flowering bushes and trees in the vicinity and ivy creeped up the walls. It was breathtaking.

I stepped out of the car once it was parked and stared at the building with an open mouth. I probably looked like an idiot, but I didn't care. I was awestruck. I was snapped back into reality by the sound of heels clicking against the gravel footpath.

I turned my head in the direction of the sound and saw a petite woman heading our way. The brunette looked like she was in her mid thirties, and was dressed in a formal black outfit. Her hair was pulled back into a neat bun, and her stylish appearance made me very conscious about my casual garb.

"Hello." She had a thick English accent, which made her sound even more sophisticated. She shook hands with my parents as she introduced herself. Apparently she was the Deputy Headmistress or something.

She looked at me and smiled. I instantly disliked her. "You must be Valerie."

I nodded and gulped. She could sense my tension. She looked into my eyes, like she was trying to read my soul. I felt her gaze burning into me, which heightened my discomfort. With a slight smirk, she said the four words that I was dreading to hear.

"Welcome To Carlsonton Academy."

Author's note

Hello there! So here's the prologue for my first full length novel. I'll probably have the next chapter up by maybe Friday or Saturday. After that, I'll be updating every Friday, 'cause that's the only day I'm free (school work and ish). So I hope you like it!

Also, credits to @xtruebeautyx this awesome cover. She knows how awesome she is.

Please vote, comment and follow!

Have a good day, night, or whatever time it is where you are.

Signing off,
Diyu xx