Chapter II

By the time we reached Ryan's room, I was sweating buckets. The afternoon heat was scorching and the long, tiring walk from the theatre hadn't done much to improve our condition. As soon as the doors opened, we tumbled in and dropped down on the wooden floor of the air-conditioned room.

"Well, well, well. If it isn't everyone's favourite couple!"

I gave a sarcastic smile to the attractive girl sitting on the bed as I hoisted myself off the floor. People obviously shipped James and me because being best friends with someone of the opposite sex is just not allowed. I stuck my hand out to help James up and the flopped down onto the bed.

"You guys looked pooped," said Peyton, the girl next to me. Peyton Strutter was my closest friend, second only to James. She was a tall, slim brunette, with perfect curves that all the boys swooned over. She looked like a typical, fake plastic, but in reality was the nicest person at Carlsonton. Her chocolate eyes always had a spark in them, and a permanent smile was plastered across her face. Peyton and I were polar opposites, so maybe that's why we clicked.

"Yeah, Apollo was being a real show-off today," said James, while I looked around Ryan's room. I had been in his room plenty of times before, mainly because that's where we normally hung out. It was equidistant from everyone's' rooms, including the girls'. The girls were allowed in the boys' dormitory, and the boys in the girls', but only till nine-thirty at night.

Ryan's room was bigger than the other rooms, which made it easier to accommodate nine noisy teenagers. One wall was covered with posters of football and basketball stars, while the other was covered in posters of punk rock bands. His room was relatively neat, which is not what you can say about his appearance. Most of the time, he looked like a homeless puppy, with adorable brown eyes and shaggy black hair. His clothes were always covered in soda and coffee stains. But honestly, it was his wild, crazy smile that was addictive.

Ryan handed me a cup of soda before serving me a slice of pizza.

"Thanks," I said, taking the paper plate from him. "Where are the others?"

"They're coming," replied Ryan, "and don't worry, Shane's with them." He chuckled. I groaned internally. The fact that I liked Shane was old news, and he knew it too, but I still hated it when people teased me.

The door opened and three more people sauntered in- April, Mikaela, and Isaac. April was the girl all the other girls wanted to be. She was pretty, captain of the cheer team, and dating the hottest guy is school, who happened to be none other than Isaac. They were both a year senior to us, in grade 10. They were the power couple, like Beyonce and Jay-Z.

April was naturally beautiful, with long slender legs and a sweet face. Her chocolate skin was flawless, and her hazel eyes were small and friendly. Her black hair was always left hanging down her shoulders in perfect curls. Isaac on the other hand was a big, blurry white guy who was a total sweetheart. His sandy blonde hair was always cut short, and his square jaw always had a slight scruff. He looked like a Calvin Klein model, with washboard abs and stuff, and I've got to admit, April's the luckiest girl on the planet.

Mikaela was another one of the clique who was a runway model. She had blonde hair and blue eyes, and a cute smile which made her look like a Disney princess. Out of all of us, she was the most petite and well dressed, always in pretty flower dresses when not in her school uniform. She had the kindest soul out of all of us. It was impossible not to love her.

April and Isaac walked hand in hand and settled on the couch, while Mikaela joined us on the bed. I got up to help Ryan out as he handed soda and pizza to the other three. He was just about to sit back down when the door opened once more. I didn't look up to see who it was, but I caught my breath when I heard the voice.