Chapter XIV

Peyton was right. The mere thought of Halloween made me feel better. Every year, we'd have a huge party where even the teachers and the support staff would dress up. It was one night in the whole year that everyone enjoyed. There was nothing in the world that could ruin it for me.

"So, are you going for the Halloween party on Friday?" James asked me as I set my tray down on the table. He whacked his head when he realised how stupid the question was. "Obviously you are. Who am I even asking?"

I rolled my eyes. "I'm disappointed in you, James."

He ignored my statement. "So, who're you going as?"

For the past two years, our outfits have always complemented each other. The first year we went as Tweedledum and Tweedledee, and the next as Agents Scully and Mulder from The X-Files. I expected us to do a similar thing this year.

"Well, I was thinking you could be Satan, and I could be Satan's Mistress. It'll be different, and nobody would expect it."

He coughed awkwardly. "Uh, actually, I already have my costume ready. Mikaela and I will be going as Harley Quinn and the Joker."

"Oh."

I was kind of hurt that he hadn't even thought of asking me before choosing his costume, but he had a girlfriend now. Obviously they'd have those cheesy couple costumes.

"You can still go as Satan's Mistress if you want," he added with an apologetic smile.

I could, but it would no fun without my Satan.

"I'll think about it."

James was about to say something, but was stopped by the loud cry of his name. Mikaela was waving at us from the other side of the cafeteria.

"Oh shit," said James, "I was supposed to meet her for lunch." He picked up his backpack and slung it over his shoulder. "I'll catch up with you later."

I sat there waiting for the customary peck on the cheek that never came. Instead, I looked at his departing figure with sadness. Ever since he and Mikaela had started dating, I hardly spent any time alone with him. It was really getting on my nerves.

"Hey." Ryan took the seat that was originally occupied by James. I was glad he was here. Ryan always managed to lift my spirits.

"Hi."

"So, James and Mikaela, huh?" He tried to take a french fry from my tray, but I swatted his hand away.

"What about them?"

"Doesn't it bother you?"

"Not really." Lies.

"Well, I don't think they look good together."

"Why?"

"I dunno. They don't seem like each other's types. They don't belong together."

I raised my eyebrow. "And what makes you say that?"

"Well, we all know that James' type is you. Nobody knows why the hell he's with Mikaela when he should be in your bed. Honestly, I really don't know why you guys haven't just made out yet. I mean, yes, you like Shane and blah blah blah, but you two are meant to be and for some strange-"

"Ryan." I cut him off. "You're going off on a tangent. Please get back to the original point."

"Right. Mikaela's type. She needs someone less nerdy and more... athletic."

"Do you have anyone in mind?" I smirked at him.

He frowned at me. "I don't know what you're talking about."