Chapter XXVI

Wait, what?

Let me recap that again. Scarlett and Denise knew each other. Like, how? What even.

Thy were having an intense stare down. I was too confused to interrupt them. My sister and my least favourite person knew each other. The information was too much to process.

"What do you want, bitch?" My sister narrowed her eyes and crossed her arms. This brought me back to reality.

"Wait, hold up. You two know each other? How?"

Denise smiled smugly. "Do you want to tell her or should I?"

Scarlett's face was red with anger. "You're playing with fire, Denise. Back off."

"No, wait." I stepped in between them. "What's going on?"

Scarlett gulped. "Valerie, this isn't any of your business."

"Scarlett." My voice was firm. I wasn't going to let go of it that easily.

She shook her head. "She's Zack's sister."

"What?!" I couldn't believe someone that nice and someone that stupid were a part of the same bloodline.

"Is that all you're going to say?"

I looked at Denise in disbelief. "There's more?"

Scarlett looked at Denise. "Please don't," she pleaded.

I shook my head. "What's she saying, Scarlett? Is there something you need to tell me?"

She sighed. Denise smirked. "I guess I'll be the one to break it to you."

"I- I don't get it."

"Oh, honey. Do you really think I'm so pathetic that I'll date Shane Randall? It was all her idea."

My eyes were watery. "You- you're her source?"

She nodded, completely satisfied with herself. I looked at Scarlett. "You did that?" My voice was no louder than a whisper.

"Valerie, listen to me." She reached out for my hand. I swatted it away.

"No. You need to leave. Now." My voice cracked. I turned around and ran away from them. I didn't return to my room, since I knew that's where she'd look first. Instead, I headed to the boys' dormitory.

I banged on the hard wood loudly. A very bewildered James opened the door.

"Valerie? What's wrong?"

I wrapped my arms around him and cried into his shoulder. He began rubbing circles on my back to soothe me. Quietly shutting the door behind us, he took my to the bed and made me sit down.

"Okay, tell me what happened."

I sniffed and wiped my tears. "My sister knows Denise."

"How?"

"She's her ex's sister."

"Okay. So?"

"They- they were in on it together."

"In on what?"

"The plan to ruin my life."

He looked at me, confused. "Okay, I'm lost now. What plan are we talking about?"

"Denise only dated Shane to get to me 'cause she knew how much I liked him! And my sister helped her!"

James shifted slightly at the mention of my crush on Shane, but didn't say anything about it. He squeezed my hand. "That's horrible. Do you know why?"