Chapter XI

A week later I cornered Denise in the girls' washroom.

"Okay, spill the beans," I said, walking in noisily and startling everyone in there.

Denise rolled her eyes. "Hi to you too."

I resisted the urge to splash water on her face.

"What's up with you?"

She adjusted her hair but still avoided my gaze. "Um, nothing."

"No. I know something is off, so what is it?"

"I don't know what you're talking about." She smiled at me sweetly. I had to physically restrain myself from slapping her by stuffing my hand into the pocket of my blazer.

"Okay, listen here, you bitch," I said, stepping closer, "if you do anything to hurt Shane, I will personally end you. Do you understand?"

Denise gulped and nodded slowly. I couldn't believe she was actually afraid of my empty threat.

I sneered at her and walked out of the washroom. I quickly walked down the hallway to my locker. At the turning, I tripped over my shoelaces. I was such a klutz.

I prepared myself to hit the cold, marble floor, but instead I hit something warm. Correction: A warm, hard chest.

I looked up and saw that Shane was clutching me. He wore a lopsided grin, and I was positive my face was redder than my hair.

"You okay?" he asked, trying not to laugh.

I nodded. I was about to open my mouth to thank him, but was pushed aside by a blonde girl.

"Oh, baby!" Denise wrapped her arms around Shane's neck. He stumbled slightly before putting his arms around her. He looked up and we locked eyes. What I saw in them wasn't affection, it was sadness. I honestly felt sorry for him.

Denise left his neck and put her arms around his torso. Shane paid her no attention and just looked at me sadly. I gave him a tentative smile. That was when Denise acknowledged my existence.

"Uh, what's she doing here?"

"We were talking," said Shane, not taking his eyes off me for even a second.

"Honey, I thought I said you weren't allowed to talk to her."

"But she's one of my best friends!"

She smiled mischievously. "I'm sorry, babe, but rules are rules. You're going to get punished."

Shane scowled and pushed her away. "Go to hell."

He linked his arm through mine. "C'mon, we've got class."

We were halfway across the corridor when I spoke up.

"I cannot believe you just did that."

"Yeah, well, the bitch was asking for it."

"You didn't have to do that."

"I know. But Denise doesn't have to be a jealous whore all the time. Especially when she's got her mouth wrapped around some other jerk."

I wrinkled my nose in disgust. "You can't be so sure."

"She isn't being honest with me. Obviously it's a boy."

"I think you're being paranoid and cynical."

He stopped and looked at me incredulously. "Why are you taking her side?"

"I'm not taking her side," I said patiently. "I'm just... I'm doing what you always do. I'm trying to see the other side of the picture."

He frowned. "You know, I liked it better when you were on my side."