Chapter twenty-eight: To Break the Spider's Deadly Web

"Now, I can finally see the Misao Harada with my eyes," Naraku speaks, face hidden behind a baboon's blue face and white pelt.

"You stay far away from her!" Kagome is suddenly in between me and the man wearing a baboon pelt in an instant, arms outstretch to shield me from him. "In fact, do us all a favor and leave!"

"Still holding a grudge, are we?" Naraku mocks as he takes a few steps toward us.

"Naraku!" This time, Sesshomaru growls; Naraku narrowly dodges Sesshomaru's claw as bits of fur fly off his pelt.

Naraku leaps away in an instant only to be surrounded by Inuyasha and Koga; quickly, Naraku tosses a ball of some kind into the air, and right when Miroku goes to make a stance, clenching his praying beads. Giant wasp-like bugs fly out of the strange-looking ball, coming out in hordes at this point and protectively surrounding Naraku.

'I've never seen insects do something like that before! Gross! I hate bugs!' I squeal with disgust at the sight; I even found myself squirming with physical discomfort. 'Even those stingers look like they could kill you in an instant. Are they some demon too?' I wanted to go back home safe and sound in my bug-free bedroom.

"It's the Saimyōshō!" Kagome shouts while clenching her hand against her chest

"Naraku's poisonous insects!" It's Sango who is shouting next, throwing herself in front of Miroku before, with a mighty swing, she launches her Hiraikotsu; she cuts through a mass of bugs in an instant, but then more takes the place of the ones that fell.

"Hehe, try all you like. My Saimyōshō will never stop," Naraku mocks while remaining hunched in place.

The white baboon cloak-like outfit creature's back was exposed entirely when a blur of white came out of nowhere; it was Sesshomaru. He swung his sword with confidence that it would hit his target, he probably would've removed Naraku's head from his shoulders if the man had stayed put, but instead, he leaped into the air to dodge. Almost instantly, they brought his blade on Naraku, slicing through his left shoulder, but no blood gushed out of the fresh wound.

"Tsh, what a waste...." Sesshomaru mumbles with a sour expression as he sheaths his blade; to my surprise, he is quick to leave the scene, even though he walks with a casual elegance that holds a sense of urgency. "We're leaving, Jaken." These are his final words; without even a glance at his Imp companion, he continues to walk back from where he came.

"B-but my lord! Naraku! A-and the woman?" Jaken stutters before taking a quick glance between me and Sesshomaru; his big yellow eyes almost look like they will pop out of his small skull.

"Huh?" Kagome looks taken aback by what she just overheard. Causing me to sheepishly look over at her, I felt like I was caught doing something I shouldn't have done for some reason. Her doe brown gaze then glances back over to me. "You know, Sesshomaru?" It's an innocent question, but I hesitated to answer for some reason.

"Y-yeah," I finally answer.

"Jaken!" Sesshomaru snaps.

"C-coming my lord!" The imp is quick and doesn't ask any more questions as he hurries to catch up with tall white-clad inu daiyōkai, who seem to vanish beyond the tree line.

It felt like a knife was thrust into my chest when I saw Sesshomaru leave without addressing me, let alone knowing if I was alright.

'He didn't even spare a hello, let alone a goodbye...' Eyes are downcast as I ponder his sudden demeanor. 'He probably would've made me alright if I was Rin, but she's just a little girl' Almost instantly, I feel even worse after scolding myself for becoming jealous of someone so young and sweet.