Chapter four: A Letter Home!

"Well, then I can now say with at most certainly that this bracelet once belongs to the late priestess Midoriko," Kaede calmly stated as she released my wrist before standing up, I hear Kagome let out a small gasp along with the rest of the group while Kaede held calm. Glancing down at my bracelet once more as that strange voice once again echoed in my mind, "Four souls must become one!"

      "Excuse me, Kaede?" I ask in a small voice as she glanced my way with a soft hum of acknowledgment. "When that red Oni captured me, he said something about a Senka Maiden," I added as I took my seat on the floor, sitting crossed-leg as I looked up at her for the answers to the questions that swarmed my brain. "I remember the legend that my great-grandmother would tell me when I was younger, but-" my gaze drifted to the far corner of the room.

      "The Senka Maiden born once every century, a mortal woman with a demon god's soul. If a demon were to eat of her flesh, their strength would increase by a hundredfold. If they were to drink of her blood, they would inherit eternal youth and never fear of facing death, and if married, their clan would flourish, and their child shall have immense power." Kaede quoted the exact line that my great-grandmother would tell me when I would visit her, "Ye, haven't heard the whole legend then?" She added as I turned my attention back towards where she had seated herself with my eyes fixed on her good-eye.

      "The whole legend?" I asked mostly to myself as she shifted slightly, most likely trying to decide either she should tell me or not.

      "Senka Maiden's are considered bad omens, with them luring demons and evil spirits that alone tends to lead to misfortune to unfortunate humans." It felt like cold water was dumped over my head at this new information, straining my ears to listen to every word. "If the demon did say something about a Senka Maiden, then we'll have to be more prepared and careful." Kaede went on calmly as she glanced at me with a gentle yet knowing look.

      "Why do you say that, Granny Kaede?" Shippo asked from my lap; my heart lurched in my chest because I knew I wouldn't like the answer. 'Please don't let the answer be what I think it is.' my mind screamed.

      "I think I know why, Shippo." Miroku's voice was severe as I held the little fox demon child in my arms.

      "Me too, Miroku." Sango's silky voice was gentler as Kagome nodded her head in agreement while Inuyasha was silent throughout the ordeal. Shippo was still confused while I didn't want to accept the truth, 'Please don't let it be true!' I begged and prayed.

      "Ye, the child, is the Senka Maiden," Kaede gently spoke while holding a severe tone, biting my lip as I had Shippo as close as possible to me without hurting him.

      "No, that can't be true!" I shook my head frantically, gritting my teeth. "It's just a legend, i-it has to be...I-I'm just an ordinary high school student," I added, but my voice faltered more than I meant it too. "I don't even belong here; I don't belong anywhere...I-I have to get back to my aunt Jewel and Mom, they need me-" my body shook with rage and frustration as the tears pooled at the corners of my eyes, spilling hot liquid streaks down my cheek. "It's the only place I belong, and I can't even go back through the stupid Well!" Letting go of Shippo as I buried my face in my hands while every ounce of emotion came pouring out at once, my already crumbling world was collapsing in on itself. Nothing was making sense to me anymore.

      "(_______)," I could barely hear Kagome's soft voice over my crying, I felt her arm over my shoulder as she brought me into a gentle embrace. My breath hitched as I looked up at her face. I could only imagine how much of a mess I must have looked like right now. "You've been through a lot, I know, but don't give up hope, I'm sure we'll find a way to get you back home safe and sound." She added, her brown eyes full of warmth and hope.