sᴇᴠᴇʀᴀɴᴄᴇ

She had blank eyes as she looked down at him. Despite how much she tried to hide her true feelings, seeing him unconscious and in so much pain due to her mistakes brought a large sense of guilt to her. The golden sunset illuminated the horizon as Aoi ripped of the hem off her dress and tied it around Akane's bleeding stomach.

After a few more minutes, Akane's eyes finally fluttered open. When he saw that Aoi had taken care of him, he reacted the same way he always did with her. Yet, the reaction he got in response was much cold than it usually was.

"So stupid..." Aoi grumbled. "What do you even like about me, Akane-kun? You always compliment me using so many words. Everytime you say these things... I wonder who you're talking about."

Aoi continued to talk about how everyone had a fake idea of who she really was, including Akane. When he insisted that what she thought wasn't actually the case, she grabbed his stopwatch and dangled it in front of him. She asked him again if he loved her but this time, he couldn't give her a proper response.

"I asked you before. Why did you start wearing glasses all of a sudden? You're always gone after school... What are you doing? Are you hiding something from me?" Aoi's fingers tightened around the watch.

"Aoi-chan..." Akane muttered.

Aoi stiffly threw the watch at him. "Liar." She stood up and began to walk away. "I don't want to get close to anyone. Goodbye."

Akane reached for Aoi, grabbed her arm and threw her to the ground, making water splash everywhere. He spouted harsh words that he didn't actually fully mean and wrapped his hand around her neck. After he finished talking, Akane looked back up at Aoi to see tears falling down her face.

"Why are you crying?" Akane asked. "Are you upset that I said that?"

Aoi's voice was barely audible. "No.."

"Isn't that what you wanted to know?" Akane asked.

"I never asked!" Aoi tried shoving Akane off her. "Let me go! Let me go already..."

Aoi's reaction reminded Akane of a time from the past. As he talked to her about it, he tried to wipe away her tears. Still, Aoi was persistent and tried pushing him away. Akane grabbed Aoi's hand and gently kissed it, confident about his feelings for her.

"I love you," he stated. "I'll always love you. You say you hate me, but when I say it to you, you cry. How cute..."

Aoi punched Akane in the gut making him groan and double over.

"Ao-chan.. I'll die if you hit me there.."

"Akane-kun, you idiot!" Aoi cried. "I hate you! And you hate me too!"

Akane pulled Aoi in by the waist and grabbed her hand. After a small exchange in words, he tightly embraced her. They pulled apart and Akane slowly brought Aoi's lips closer to his.

The door from a nearby bus tipped in the water suddenly swung open. Teru walked through with a large sword in his hand and his eyes instantly landed on Akane and Aoi.

Teru awkwardly grinned. "Did I... interrupt something?"

Akane angrily turned towards him. "LEAVE!!!"

A few seconds passed, along with the tension of the moment that Teru interrupted.

"Why did you come here, president?" Akane asked.

"What a terrible attitude," Teru said. "Even after I came here to save you too."

"Save us?" Akane's eyes widened. "You came here to save me and Ao-chan? What brought this on?"

"It's obon now isn't it? As the eldest son of an exorcist family, I came to do a quick patrol in the school. There were supernaturals swarming and..." Teru held up Akane's glasses. "Even something like this was lying around, you see? So I figured there might have been some trouble."