CHAPTER-2 RETURNING THE FAVOUR

As she entered Shreya's room, she didn't see anyone there. The lehenga she was supposed to wear for her wedding was on the bed, along with all the jewelry sets. She checked the bathroom, but Shreya wasn't there. She felt worried that Shreya might be running away from her own wedding. Then she noticed the balcony was open and there was a ladder leading down. She got really scared because she knew something big was about to happen. She was worried about her sister, but also angry because Shreya didn't seem to care about the family's reputation. She was scared to go downstairs and tell Mansi, but she had to. Then she saw a paper on the bed, partially covered by a jewelry box. She hesitantly picked it up and started reading. Tears filled her eyes because she was scared of how everyone would react. She knew the family Shreya was marrying into was very respected, wealthy, and famous. If this came out, it would be a huge problem. But she couldn't do anything about it.

Shanaya's heart raced as she dashed down the stairs, tears streaming down her face

Shanaya's heart raced as she dashed down the stairs, tears streaming down her face. She couldn't fathom why Shreya would do something like this. Sure, Shreya had her rebellious moments, but this was beyond anything Shanaya could have imagined.

She found Mansi, her mother, standing there with an annoyed expression. "What now? Why are you here? Is Shreya ready? The baraat is just steps away," Mansi snapped, her eyes gleaming with excitement at the sight of the approaching baraat.

Shanaya's voice trembled as she stammered, "M-Maa, Sh-Shreya isn't anywhere to be found. She left this letter." She handed over the letter, her hands shaking uncontrollably.

Mansi's eyes widened in shock as she snatched the letter from Shanaya's trembling hands. Deep down, she had a feeling that her own daughter was capable of such a drastic step. But reading the words on that paper confirmed her worst fears. Tears welled up in Mansi's eyes as she realized the shame her daughter's actions would bring upon them.

Fear gripped Mansi's entire being. The Deshmukh family was not only wealthy and arrogant but also known for their ruthless nature. If things didn't go according to their plans, they could destroy someone's life in an instant.

Shanaya tried to calm her mother, her voice quivering, "M-Maa, c-calm down, please don't panic." But Mansi erupted in anger, her voice filled with venom, "Just shut up, you witch! It's because of you that she ran away. Didn't I tell you to keep an eye on her? But no, you were too busy making mistakes, you ugly witch!"

Shanaya looked at her mother with innocent eyes, disbelief etched on her face. She couldn't find the words to defend herself. This had always been her mother's nature, to lash out in anger and hatred. But she couldn't say anything because it was her nature and also because of the so called "returning the favour they gave her by adopting and taking not so care of her."

*Note the sarcasm*

Shanaya, with tears streaming down her face, hastily handed Mansi a glass of water, stammering out an apology. Mansi, her eyes filled with anger and frustration, downed the water in one gulp and confronted Shanaya, her voice trembling with intensity.

"Just forget your sorry and go call Ranjeet," Mansi snapped, her words laced with bitterness. Shanaya, sensing the urgency, quickly sought out Ranjeet, who was engrossed in conversation with a guest. She interrupted him, her voice filled with worry.

"Papa, there's a huge problem. Maa is calling you," Shanaya stuttered. Ranjeet, sensing the gravity of the situation, followed Shanaya back to Mansi. He anxiously questioned his wife, his voice filled with concern.

"What happened, Mansi? Is everything okay? The baraat is already here. We need to act quickly," Ranjeet urged. Mansi, her voice hesitant, revealed the shocking truth.

"There's a problem, Ranjeet. Shreya ran away," Mansi confessed. Ranjeet's face turned red with anger as he shouted in disbelief.

"Are you out of your mind? Do you realize who she was supposed to marry? If they find out Shreya ran away, they'll ruin us. That fucking girl is no longer my daughter," Ranjeet bellowed. Mansi, though shaken, couldn't bear to hear him speak about Shreya in such a way.

"Why are you yelling at her? It's not just her fault, but also Shanaya's," Mansi retorted, her voice filled with frustration.

Shanaya looked at her mother in disbelief. As the word came out of Mansi's mouth, "Shanaya," Ranjeet thought of something incredibly shocking. "Shanaya, right? Of course, now she will pay for her mistake and, of course, she has to return the favour of being adopted because we didn't really need you. After 2 years of adopting you, we already got Shreya. But still, you live in this house with all the facilities. Who knows, you could be the daughter of someone poor and an asshole. And now you will do this at any cost because this is the only day when you will come in for our use."

Shanaya looked at her father with tearful eyes as the tears continued to flow. She knew what her father was thinking, and she never wanted this. She never wanted to marry someone unknown, someone she didn't even know. She begged her father, "Please, Papa, don't do this. I will repay by doing something else. Please don't make me marry someone. Please."

Her pleas were met with indifference as her father didn't even glance at her. He instructed Mansi to make her ready with other artists as quickly as possible. The weight of their reputation overshadowed any concern for Shanaya's feelings. Mansi hesitated, questioning what would happen if the truth came out after the marriage. But Ranjeet dismissed her worries, emphasizing the "importance of reputation for now."

Shanaya's heart shattered as she realized her father's decision was final. Tears streamed down her face as she contemplated her true identity and the life she could have had. But for now, she had to face the harsh reality and find a way to navigate through the storm that had engulfed her life.