CHAPTER 3 - DREADFUL MARRIAGE

Shanaya's pov

I found myself sitting in front of a massive mirror, dressed in a stunning bridal lehanga( Indian bridal attire) I did applied mehandi (henna) secretly in the mehandi function although I got scolded by maa as I am very fond of doing creativity on my hand with henna.

However, This lehenga wasn't meant for me, nor was the marriage or the soon-to-be husband

However, This lehenga wasn't meant for me, nor was the marriage or the soon-to-be husband. It was all for Shreya, not my. I never desired to get married in this way. Helplessly, I gazed at my reflection, fighting back the tears that filled my eyes. My heart longed to release them, but I couldn't risk ruining my makeup. My mother warned me that if a single tear dropped, she would blame me for Shreya running away from the wedding. I'm not afraid of being beaten, as I've grown accustomed to it lately. What truly concerns me is preserving my self-respect and maintaining a positive impression while living with my future in-laws. Although my self-respect has suffered greatly in my parent's presence,but I am willing to endure it if it means repaying my parents' favour. However, I am uncertain if my in-laws will also treat me as bad as my parents did.

I took out the photo of my biological mother that was given to me when I was in the orphanage at the age of 2. One of the nannies there, who was really nice and took care of me, said she was a friend of my  mumma's and called mumma as an angel. Since then, I've kept this photo of my mumma. I feel exhausted and broken, and sometimes I just wish I could be with her and could tell her that I am broken mumma I am tired I want be with you mumma whether it's hell of heaven , I couldn't leave here mumma. Please help me out. I'm scared mumma about what the future holds, especially when it comes to my husband and in-laws. I'm worried they might not accept me and see me as a replacement. I don't know where I would go if they  kick me out. I try not to cry, but sometimes it's hard to hold back the tears. Just when a drop of tear escaped my eyes which I hurriedly wiped before maa comes and whispered to myself "Can you please help me, mumma?" I opened the zip of my luggage and safely kept mumma's photo inside it before sitting again on the chair Infront of the mirror.

The door suddenly opened with a loud thud. My mother entered, saying, 'Now it's time to bid goodbye, my not so dear daughter. Behave well and don't embarrass me there like you do here.' She handed me a chunnari ( a piece of cloth which is the part of bridal attire and covers the upper part of the body basically head.) and instructed me to cover my face completely. Walking down the stairs with other women and girls, my mother sidehugged me tightly, displaying our fake bond to others. As I approached the stage, someone extended their hand for me to climb up the stage. I looked up and saw a handsome figure, dressed in a shervani, confirming that he was the groom I was to marry. However, he abruptly let go of my hand. I looked at him in confusion, and that's when I saw his cold, expressionless face, as if he wasn't intereste.

We hesitantly exchanged the varmala(signifies the start of wedding rituals) , doing my best to hold back the tears

We hesitantly exchanged the varmala(signifies the start of wedding rituals) , doing my best to hold back the tears. Then, as we proceeded to the mandap,(altar) something unexpected occurred that halted me in my tracks. One of the aunties, or rather my soon-to-be mother-in-law, excitedly exclaimed, "Can I catch a glimpse of my daughter-in-law? Don't you think we should capture a picture of them during the rituals? But due to the chunnari, I'm unable to see her," she playfully concluded with a pout, which was cute but filled me with fear and trepidation. Beads of sweat formed on my face, and tears welled up in my eyes. I know I cry at the drop of a hat, but it always happens when I'm scared. It's become a habit now. My thoughts were interrupted when my maa nervously spoke up, "Sorry, Mrs. Deshmukh, but in our tradition, the bride covers herself with a chunnari until the marriage concludes and she finally goes to her in-laws' house." Aunty understood the situation and nodded, assuring that it's alright. I felt a wave of relief wash over me. We took our seats on the mandap, and the pandit ji(priest) began chanting the mantras. When he instructed him to wear the mangalsutra(a necklace wear by an Indian women that indicates she is married.)  around my neck, my breath hitched. I worried that he might discover that I'm not his intended bride, but then I felt two hands gently brushing against my neck. I felt a shiver run down my spine. And then he asked him to apply vermilion. Now, I was truly scared because there was a higher possibility of him seeing my face. However, he delicately and slightly lifted the chunnari to place his hand on my head and applied the vermilion. I let out a sigh of relief.

After all the fancy rituals, the wedding finally ended. It was time to say goodbye, and my parents, pretending to care, hugged me with fake emotions, making it seem like they truly loved their daughter. Deep down, I knew it was all a show, but I found comfort in the illusion of affection. I had a mix of happiness and sadness on my face when my lovely mother-in-law sweetly said, "Can we have our daughter-in-law now? We've been waiting for so long!" My mom laughed and replied, "Of course, Mrs. Deshmukh!" Meanwhile, my husband sat uninterestedly in the fancy Mercedes, waiting for me to join him.

Now something big was about to go down. My true identity was going to be exposed. How would they react when they find out that I'm not the bride they were expecting? They'll probably yell and beat the hell out of me. Bhagwan ji( God), please do something, please save me. As I spoke, tears started streaming down my face. I quickly covered my mouth to stifle my sobs, but then I realized we had arrived. He got out of the car and went inside without a word. The driver opened the door for me, and I struggled to get out in my heavy bridal outfit. But I managed somehow, slowly making my way inside while fighting back the tears of fear and clutching onto my lehenga. A sad chuckle escaped me as I thought about my fate. If my husband is treating me like trash even before seeing my face, how will his family treat me once they see me?

*************************"*********
what do you think will be the behaviour of Deshmukh's family when they will find out she is not the intended bride?

Will Parth forgive shanaya ? Will he understand her side?

Will she be able to find a better future with her in-laws and husband unlike her own parents?

_____________________________________
Please share your views and suggestions through comments and vote for me please  as it will surely encourage me to write more oftenly.