CHAPTER 6 - DAUGHTER IN LAW OF DESHMUKH 'S FAMILY

Shanaya's pov

After all those introductions and me accepting that now I'm Deshmukh's family daughter-in-law and maybe Mr Deshmukh's's wife, Mom spoke, saying, "Now let's have breakfast - oh! Wait." She looked at me and said, "Shanaya beta, I know you must have been hungry. But yesterday, because of all that drama, we didn't do the welcoming rituals. But today, let's at least do the pehli rasoi rituals. You just have to make one sweet dish, and don't worry, the chefs will help you. But beta, let's do this."

I looked at Mom, and I could tell she was feeling uneasy when talking about the rituals and me making a sweet dish. Assuring her, I said, "Mom, don't worry! I respect the rituals, and I will surely do it. I know how to make gajar ka halwa, kheer, atte ka halwa, besan ka halwa, suji ka halwa, jalebi, badam ka halwa, imarti, kaju katli, and gulab jamun. So, which one should I make? And don't worry, I don't want to disturb the chefs, and I have experience cooking."

Mom looked surprised and shocked after hearing me. I took a moment, looked down nervously, and slowly muttered, making it clear she could hear me, "Although I don't know if I will make it nice or not, Mom. I'm sorry!" I remembered the times when I didn't make certain dishes well, and my parents, especially maa, used to scold me, saying I did it intentionally.

Mom looked disappointed and said, "Beta, it doesn't matter if the sweet dish turns out perfect or not. What truly matters is your confidence and belief in yourself. Don't worry even if it doesn't turn out great; you'll learn along the way. Just hearing the names of the sweet dishes from your mouth makes my mouth watery. Your father-in-law, grandmother-in-law, and I all love jalebi and kheer. You can choose to make either one, and I know you'll do a great job. So let's not worry and make it. We can continue with breakfast afterward."

After mom left, I looked at her and couldn't help but feel grateful for such an understanding and motivating family. Regardless of how my husband is, I am incredibly happy with my family. I started liking them so much that a tear of happiness unknowingly escaped my eyes. Shaking my head to collect myself, I headed to the kitchen and asked Madhu where all the ingredients needed for making the sweet dishes were.

I started making the dishes, silently praying for them to turn out well. Even though Madhu offered to help, I declined as it is my pehli rasoi tradition to do everything myself. After 40 minutes, I was ready, having made both jalebi and kheer. I know mom said to make just one, but since they love both, why not make both?

I genuinely enjoy cooking for my family, and I'm even considering asking mom if I can make breakfast, lunch, and dinner daily.

I silently made my way towards the dining table and noticed Madhu serving breakfast. I placed bowls of both kheer and jalebi on the table when Mom exclaimed, "Wow, Shanaya beta, you did it so quickly. Now, sit, I'll ask Madhu to serve, and then we can finally start with our breakfast." Without skipping a beat, I responded, "No, Mom, it's okay. Please let me serve." She chuckled and replied, "Alright, you can be the one to serve." So, I happily served everyone,

and that's when both my dad and dadi excitedly exclaimed in unison, "Wow, jalebi and kheer!" I was taken aback and pleasantly surprised. While I knew about dad's playful and childish nature, seeing dadi, who is usually strict, act so childishly was a new experience for me. Their excited faces made me smile.

Mom then questioned, "Shanaya, why did you make both? I only asked for one. You didn't have to go through so much trouble." I looked at Mom, smiled, and replied, "Mom, you mentioned that you all enjoy both dishes, and I know how to make both, so why not? Don't worry, I love cooking, so it wasn't a big deal." She smiled back at me and said, "I'm proud to have such a daughter-in-law."