Chapter 25

"Do you think I look alright?" I twirl around in the dress Zander sent for me whilst Daphne and Stacy study their work. 

Zander came over and with his help I was able to finish most of my paper by early evening. We then chased him away and the girls excitedly took charge of getting me ready for tonight's charity gala. 

Tonight's dinner will be held at the Starhill Gallery overlooking the beautiful Belmont topiary gardens. I've never been to this side of the city before, only heard of the numerous events occasionally held there where only the rich and influential can be seen. 

Which is why the girls have spared no expense on my hair, make up and jewellery. Daphne lent me her diamond set, two studs and a delicate necklace with a small pendant. Stacy took charge of my hair, styling it into a half do with matching diamond pins to hold some of my thick dark hair back. 

The studded pins aren't real diamonds but they look so authentic, it makes the entire ensemble work. 

The dress is another thing all together, all chiffon and soft trimmings accentuating my every curve. The deep blue colour makes me think of midnight, the diamonds on my head like stars. 

"You look perfect," Stacy places a hand on her hip, clearly satisfied with her work. 

"Agreed," Daphne says before dabbing a little blush on my nose. "Forgot to add some there." 

"You girls are the best," I gush and then lean in for a hug.

They quickly back away like I'm about to bite them. "No, no hugging. Don't ruin what we so carefully curated." 

I roll my eyes but smile at them nonetheless. I couldn't have done today without them. The phone rings and it's Zander, telling me that he's outside. My stomach feels like it's being twisted into knots as I reluctantly tell the girls goodbye, promising to fill them in after tonight immediately. 

I put on my heels and head to the lifts, wondering why I'm getting more and more nervous by the second. When the lift door opens to the ground floor, I catch Zander waiting by the foyer, dressed in a black suit, his tie the same dark blue as my gown. 

He looks up when I step out and pauses, it reminds me of those movies I used to watch where the girl dresses up for the first time and walks down the stairs. His expression is exactly the same as those guys, jaw going slack in surprise, eyes wide like he doesn't quite know what he is looking at. 

"Is it enough?" I ask when I reach him, doing a half twirl to show him the dress and my hair. 

He seems to be at a loss for words, studying me from head to toe silently. 

"What?" I ask again, alarm slowly settling in. Is it too simple? Do the women at these events wear more jewellery, more extravagance? Even my clutch is small and unbranded. I hold it tightly to my side. If he tells me this isn't enough, I'm turning around and heading back to the room to undress. 

After what feels like forever, he finally clears his throat and holds a hand out to me. "We should go." 

I take his hand hesitantly and let him lead me outside to the dorm entrance. Instead of the blue McLaren, there's a limousine parked outside today. Thankfully, it's a Sunday and most students aren't hovering around at this hour so not many students catch us getting into it. 

The seats are long and spread out over the span of the vehicle. I notice a built in bar on the other side of us, housing an array of liquors ranging from whiskey to wines. 

Zander is fidgety and quiet, which is so unlike him. He fusses over the casing that houses the liquor and finally unlocks it. 

"Would you like something to take the edge off?" He begins pouring himself a glass of Hennessy on the rocks and I tell him I'd like a glass of Rose.