Chapter 8

The afternoon sun beat down as I moved through my stretching routine in the backyard, seeking solace in the familiar motions. One leg extended straight, I leaned forward over my outstretched thigh, palms flat on the mat, feeling the supple pull along my hamstrings and hips.

Taking deep breaths, I focused solely on the sensations in my body - the tension unraveling snippet by snippet from tight muscles, each release of pressure another fragment of stress shed. Inch by careful inch I lowered my torso, lengthening the line of my split till my nose nearly touched the grass, held aloft only by the strength in my supporting leg.

All other thoughts fell blessedly mute as I centered myself in my body, the world shrinking to this small square of navy material. For a few precious moments there was nothing but me, and the dance my form wove with gravity. No classmates whispering behind raised hands, no nagging worries about unwanted desires or unwanted suitors. Just pure, uncomplicated movement and the fading pleasure-pain of stretching past familiar limits.

I held the pose for several measured breaths before smoothly transitioning to the other side, shifting my weight onto straight arms as one leg extended up towards the heavens. Slowly, painstakingly, I lowered my torso, focusing on controlled breath and careful form

I was lowering gently from my back split when Jolie's voice startled me, loud in the still backyard. Glancing over, I saw her standing framed by the sliding door, arms crossed disapprovingly.

"I don't know why you do that," she called out, shaking her head. "Your body isn't supposed to do that."

Sighing inwardly, I unclenched my scrabbling fingers from the mat's edge rising to face her. Jolie had never understood my passion for dance and flexibility, viewing it as unnatural.

"It's not hurting me," I replied calmly, matching her stance with one of my own. "Stretching is healthy and it feels good."

She clicked her tongue, eying me up and down as if trying to discern some untoward motive beneath my lycra leggings and sports bra. "One of these days you're gonna break something, pushing your muscles too far. Then you'll be sorry."

Her judgment prickled at my patience like briars. "Well I'm not sorry now. My body is meant to move this way." I tossed her a smile, moving past towards the house. "I know my limits."

But did I, really? As I dusted off my mat, I couldn't help wondering once more how far past limits certain fleeting desires might lead me, given half a chance.

I slowed as Jolie called after me, trying not to betray my irritation as I turned to face her again. "Mom said you can use her car to take me and Dylan for coffee," she relayed, as if this were some grand act of generosity on her part.

Crossing my arms, I raised a skeptical brow. "And why should I?" After all, it wasn't as if Jolie and I were close. She only saw me as a sister when she needed a favor.

Sure enough, her eyes narrowed at my challenge. "Because Mom said to, and we're your siblings."

That was rich, coming from her. "I'm only your 'sibling' when you want something," I pointed out calmly. "The rest of the time you're too cool to be seen with me."

Jolie opened her mouth to argue but found herself at a rare loss for words. A small victory, but it left an opening nonetheless.

"Tell you what - I'll drive you, on one condition. When we get back, you help me clean out the gutters. Deal?" A smirk tugged at my lips, enjoying the stunned look on her face. Sometimes it paid to turn the tables.

Jolie glared at me a moment before sagging her shoulders in defeat. "Fine, whatever. I'll help with the gutters."

I gave her an easy smile in return, deciding to rub it in further. "I would have taken you for free, but since you agreed..." Trailing off with a teasing lilt, I turned to head inside and grab my keys.