Chapter 1.

Alexa Play Calm & Patience by Jhene Aiko

Monday 3rd January
7am

Cassidy

"Rae get yo ass up! Don't make me come in there again

"Rae get yo ass up! Don't make me come in there again."

I crack open the door of the guest bedroom and watch her toss from side to side in the comfort of the covers. This is what her ass gets for wanting to sleep over the day before our masters programmes started.

She knows I hate being late.

"Rae Antoinette Michaels!"

"I'm up, I'm up" she says as she begins to get out of the bed.

Mmhmm. She knows better.
-
I smile to myself as I go back to my room to jump in the shower.

I release a breath I didn't know I was holding as I watched hot water droplets roll off my tattoos. My shower was my quiet time. Time to myself before I had to face the chaos of the day.

Today marked the day of new beginnings. Rae and I were starting our Masters degrees at Colombia University.

Rae was doing hers in European History, Politics, & Society and I was doing mine in Mathematics with a Specialisation in the Mathematics of Finance.

I honestly couldn't believe we got in. This was truly a dream come true.  We've been through so much in life and this moment really showed me that God is real.

I got myself out of the shower and decided on a light beat on the face, and a half up half down hair look to really elevate my natural features.

Outfit wise I didn't want to do too much but still wanted pop out you know.

I finish getting ready then grabbed my pink Chanel cross over bag. 

Mmmmm perfect.
-
As my hand touches the banister, the aroma of fresh chocolate chip pancakes hit my nose.

Mmmmm Mama been cooking.

"Morning Mama" I say as I embrace her from behind.

"Morning my baby. Look at you looking all grown up." She says smiling.

"Mama I am grown up. I'm 24 years old."

"You ain't been on this earth for longer than 24 mins Cassi. Sit your butt down and get some breakfast in you. Rae up yet?"

I just smile and shake my head at her comments. It's like no matter how grown up you are, your parents make it their jobs to humble you.

But Mama C was more than a parent to me. She was a guardian in every sense of the word. She only had one biological child but was a mother to many.

I never knew my mother and my father was an interesting man to say the least. He wasn't fit to be a parent and died when I was around the age of 14. That's when I moved in with Mama C and she adopted me.