10. Before Nightfall

A little short chapter cause ya girl has spent all the free time here moving into my new place! It's been a wild start to 2024 but we're getting back into the swing of things now.
(I had to move a couch, a boxing bag, and a grand piano... so you can imagine the stress levels I had going on lol).
As always, I love y'all so so so much
I hope you're taking good care of yourselves <3
I cannot waiiiiitttttt to get to the next few chapters, cause the lore is about to go crazy :)
Anywhoo, Enjoy lovelies!
xoxo

Caspian

"You look like death

"You look like death." Snips noted to me, wiping beads of sweat from his forehead onto the shirt sleeve covering his upper arm, as the bright sun beamed down right above us. It was signaling high noon to the sea and it's inhabitants.

My hands were gripping the wooden pole we were moving with unnecessary strength, and Snips felt it when he tried to pull the pole from me and lift it into its standing position. The look he gave me confirmed it, paired seamlessly with his flippant irritance.

We were tightening the support of one of the beams when I started to fall victim to my own thoughts. Something that was dangerous to do around Snips seeing as he didn't favor any distractions as we worked.

With every current that pushed this large vessel forward, we were drawing nearer to the shores of Gatvia. Alistair had already given the orders to prepare to dock before nightfall, and my uncertainty would only grow from here on.

I hadn't lied to him about my family being dead. But I did lie about Gatvia. My feet had never touched its soil, and a man as smart as Alistair already knew that. Even if he hadn't figured out who I was, he was making impressive strides to. There wasn't any telling though what he had planned to do with this information once he confirmed the lie, or what would happen to me then.

I couldn't tell him who I really was even if I knew he had no desire to kill me... and the words he had spoken the evening before over supper- about me being as good as useless cargo if the men didn't accept me as his property. Those words had terrified me.

This crew would never accept me as anything without knowing who I was. They especially wouldn't once Alistair confirmed his suspicious of me not being from Gatvia. Yet if they knew exactly who I was, who my family was, this hostility would go from unacceptance to something else entirely.

And then there was that other threat. The one about Alistair tying me down below until my body fell succumb to the natural process of things. I knew how long that could take, and my mind would break before my body ever did.

So none of this was good.

It wasn't ideal before, but now it really wasn't good.

"I can already smell it." Snips added once he got the pole steadied into the notch we created, before taking a deep inhale. "The rivers... the mountains...the food... the women." Snips had a genuine smile on his face as he slowly closed his eyes, faulting me to do the same.