13. Splitting Hairs

Back at itttt and it's looking like a double upload today :)
Also I swear I'm updating the playlist today lol, I completely forgot to with the last upload
Enjoy, lovelies!

Caspian

I awoke before the sun had

I awoke before the sun had. I could tell by the darkness of the room, but as the light outside slowly grew through the small window across the bedroom chambers, as did my vision. It took a few moments to pull myself up into a sitting position, adjusting my back from the stiffness of resting on the floor, before I glanced over to Alistair.

My eyes shut a moment, then opened again... but I was still staring at an empty bed already made.

I hadn't heard any shuffling all night. No creaks in the floorboards. Not the sound of the doors hinges as it was being opened. Nothing.

He was just... gone.

I found myself finally getting up, pushing those aching joints till I was on my feet, then I hesitated. Less than a day ago, I would've seen this as a perfect opportunity to make my escape, but now... now I was terrified to even leave this room without Alistair at my side.

There was a slight muffled sound coming from below, it sounded like metal clashing, but not the metal I was used to. Not the sound of swords, and against all better judgement, I decided to investigate it. For all I knew, it could've been Alistair himself doing who knows what in the dining hall, but as I straightened myself out, folded up the sheet I slept on with the pillow placed on top, and headed downstairs, I was met with eyes I didn't recognize.

There was a young woman moving through the dining hall, making her way in and out of the kitchen area with impressive speed, and even better coordination as she carried pots and pans around. I hadn't noticed she hadn't noticed my presence, so when my leg accidentally collided with the leg of one of the dining's chairs, I watched as she unexpectedly jumped.

The noise that soon followed was a loud crashing sound, with the pots that were once in her hand, now scattered across the floor.

Before my mind could react, my body did, and its immediate response was to help. I found myself crouching down next to the young beautiful women, her face now clearer to me. Her hair was long and black, very different from Gaia's family and the rest of the people on this island. I had noticed most of their hair was lighter in shades, much like Gaia's.

There was something else about this women, her brown doe-like eyes staring back at me with something I instinctively noticed as fear. She accepted the pots and pans gratefully as I helped set them on the nearest table for her, but she still had that weary look mixed in with her otherwise sharp features.

"My apologies." I spoke first, keeping my voice low and a bit more comforting in an effort not to scare the woman further.

"N-No that was my mistake-" she started, but I didn't allow her to continue.