Chapter 12

Eve's POV

I run my fingers through my hair, letting out a sigh as I look over at the papers spread across the table. The room is quiet, the only sound is the clock ticking on the wall. I can't focus, no matter how hard I try. My thoughts are somewhere else.

"Coffee, Ms. Blau?" Rena asks, peeking her head through the door. "I couldn't help but notice you didn't have your coffee this morning."

"I'm cutting caffeine from my diet," I lie, rubbing my face. "Thank you."

She smiles at me, nodding before walking away.

I let myself rest against the backrest of the chair, closing my eyes for a moment. My mind drifts to Yael, wondering what she's doing right now. Probably working, maybe wondering why I haven't been going. I myself don't have a clear answer to that.

Clearly not doing a very good job at trying to distance myself from her — if that's what I'm trying to do. It seems to be harder to cut from Yael than from coffee... I shake my head, trying to focus back on the documents in front of me.

The sound of a loud bang coming from outside startles me, an accident? Probably a car crash. I stop myself from looking out the window, returning my attention to the files. A couple of minutes pass, and I find myself staring at the same line.

A knock on my door distracts me again, making me groan. "Yes?"

"Are you alright, Ms. Blau?" Rena asks, entering the room once more with more files in her hands.

I nod, taking it from her hands. "What happened outside?"

"I'm not sure," she answers, looking over her shoulder. "There is smoke coming out of a building next by, a house fire maybe?"

I hum, looking through the new files.

"Is there something troubling you?"

"No," I answer quickly, flipping through the pages. "Is the road blocked off? We have a meeting in half an hour. We should warn our clients."

"I'll look into it, Ms. Blau," Rena nods before walking away.

I watch her leave, a sigh escaping my lips as I turn my gaze towards the window. It's a bit far, but I can clearly see the smoke. The sky is stained with it, a dark cloud hanging above the city.

Rena comes back moments later, a phone pressed against her ear. "Ms. Blau, we might have to postpone the meeting. Roads are blocked off until further notice."

"That bad?"

"It's quite the mess, a coffee shop blew up down the street, they have found a couple of bodies already."

"Blew up?"

"Yeah."

I stare at her, my thoughts coming to a halt. "The one I get my coffee from?"

"Yes," she says, a confused expression on her face as I get up from the chair.

"I have to go," I mumble, picking up my things before walking out. I hear Rena call after me, but I don't stop. I'm not sure of what I'm doing, what I'm looking for, or what I hope to find.

The streets are blocked off by the police and firefighters, a crowd has gathered around the perimeter of the area, people taking pictures and recording the scene. I stop next to a couple of people, looking over their shoulders. The place is completely destroyed, everything reduced to ashes. The sound of a siren draws my attention away from the sight, seeing a white ambulance parked in front of a small crowd.

I push through the sea of people, trying to catch a glimpse of the person in the stretcher. A cop tries to stop me, but I simply ignore him. I manage to make it to the front, where a pair of EMTs are putting the last paramedic inside the ambulance.