Chapter 17

I watch as Eve puts her hair up in a ponytail, stretching her arms afterward. She glances over her shoulder at me, arching her eyebrows. "Don't go easy on me this time around, yes?"

"I'll show you no mercy," I joke, getting in position in the middle of the room. Eve hasn't mentioned what happened the other night — the reason she left... the kiss — it's as if it never happened. And I'm not sure if I should play along or say something. Does she want me to say something? I can't read her.

She rushes forward, trying to grab me which I block, kicking her legs from under her and making her fall on her back, making her groan in pain. "Don't go so fast," I scold her. "Let the enemy make the first move."

"But what if I can't block it?" she grumbles, rubbing her back as she stands up. "Shouldn't I anticipate an attack, and act first?"

"How do you know they're going to attack you?"

"Does it matter? If someone is a threat, why should I wait until they do something?" she asks, standing in front of me.

"The best form of self-defense is avoiding unnecessary confrontation — you never know if they have a knife, a gun, friends around. You are in a weak position."

She stares at me, her expression unreadable. "What's the course of action then?"

"Well, if you're absolutely certain they are going to attack you, you run. And if you can't run, you try to negotiate... if you can't negotiate, that's when you show them all your new sick moves," I smirk, getting into position again.

She rolls her eyes, imitating my stance. "Is that what you would do?"

"Do you think I go around picking fights?" I ask, watching her carefully.

"By the state of your body, I'd say yes..." she says, trailing off. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to comment on your—"

I lunge at her, catching her off guard. She manages to block my kick, but doesn't anticipate me throwing a punch. I stop just before connecting with her face, my fist frozen inches away from her nose. "If you ever go around picking fights with someone, don't let your guard down," I say, my voice low, her eyes wide and blued to my knuckles. "And don't feel sympathy for your target, all it takes is a second of doubt for the hunter to become prey." Her eyes meet mine, a hint of something flashing through them. Fear, but not fear of me — something else. I step back, putting some distance between us. "Try again," I say, motioning for her to come at me.

She attacks me, trying to push me onto the floor, but I grab her wrist, pulling her towards me and making her trip over her own feet and fall against my chest. She gasps, trying to take a step back, but I wrap my arm around her waist, holding her in place.

She looks down at me, her face flushed. "You're strong for how short you are," she groans.

"Short?" I scoff. "You're only a finger nail taller than me when you're not wearing those neck-breaking heels."

"I'd say it's at least two fingers, Yael, and you know that goes a long way," she teases.

"So now you got jokes," I click my tongue, tightening my grip around her waist, making her squirm. "Tell me I'm short again."

She laughs, her arms around my neck, trying to keep her balance. "I'm sorry," she apologizes through a chuckle. "Please let me go, I can't breathe."

I loosen my arms, giving her way to take a step back, but she doesn't. Instead, she rests her forehead against mine, closing her eyes as her breathing evens out. The smell of her skin intoxicating, her closeness driving me crazy. She places a hand on my cheek, caressing it gently with her thumb. Her lips are slightly parted, and I can feel her warm breath on my face. My mind drifts off to our kiss, the softness of her lips, the taste of her mouth — it's like an itch I can't scratch. I want more.

I lean in, closing my eyes, only to find myself on the ground once I open them. I blink, staring up at the ceiling in disbelief. Did she just tackle me?

She sits on top of me, pinning me down by the wrists as she looks down at me triumphantly. "Got you," she breathes out, a satisfied smile on her face.

Her grip is tight around my wrists, but I'm not trying to get away. "Well done."

There is no doubt in my mind that I'm being targeted, and whoever is behind this wants me to know that — there is no way they'd make it this obvious otherwise.

I don't have many whys. Revenge after a killed loved one? A target that has caught on? That would imply that Eve is behind this, and as much as I'd like to think otherwise, I can't rule it out.

A dissatisfied client? Somehow, this option seems to be the most plausible.

I pull into the parking lot, spotting Yousef's car as he waves me over. "You look stressed," he says as I get out of my car.

"You think so?"

"Rumor has spread that you have an X on your back, you know?" He leans on the hood of his truck, an older black Ford. "It's all everyone's talking about... it's rare, it's not a very dignifying deed for an assassin, but in this world, lines get blurred when there is money involved."

"Let me guess, they think it's Karma getting back at me," I sigh, leaning beside him.

"You did have no problem picking up jobs like this, your ruthlessness made you one of the best," he shrugs, turning to me. "People have been whispering about the possibility of it being one or a few of the Alefbeit Squadron."

"They speculate that every time something like this happens, it's just for drama."

"So you don't think it's them?"

"It's definitely them."

"You have the right to defend yourself, Eretz, don't let yourself get killed."

"They won't kill me," I say simply. "Not yet, at least."

"What's their purpose, then?"

"Intimidation. If they wanted to kill me, not only would they have done it already, but they wouldn't let me so easily see them... and if it is the Alefbeit, they are notorious for their psychological and physical torture. They wouldn't pick this job up if the goal was just to kill me."

"What are you going to do?"

"I don't work under pressure," I say, running a hand through my hair. "If they want to play games with me, then let the games begin."

As always, thanks for reading, please vote and drop a comment. It will help me a lot more than you might think.

Also, follow me on Twitter and Instagram: shayzayit

Hey guys, if you enjoy my content, please consider supporting what I do on Ko-fi.com/ShayZayit (link on my profile), not only will it give me the motivation to write and create more but it will also help me get my books physically published (these drafts will always stay on Inkitt and Wattpad for free