Chapter 20

Getting your target to trust you enough to let you close, to open themselves bare to you, to be completely vulnerable to you — it's like a meticulous dance... and one misstep is all it takes to ruin everything you've worked for.

I sit in my car, my head resting on the back of the seat as I stare at the ceiling, thinking about how stupid I was to let my guard down. How stupid I was to believe I could control the situation... how I've become so invested in trying to crack her open. I've let myself fall into the arms of the woman whose faith is supposed to lie in my hands.

I'm supposed to be the one carrying the scythe. I'm the one supposed to be Death.

A soft knock on the window snaps me out of my thoughts, and I look over to see a familiar face staring at me from outside the car. I unlock the door, opening it as she gets into the passenger seat.

"You're a hard person to find," she says, glancing at me with a smile.

"I prefer it that way," I mutter, staring out the windshield. "Just get to the point. Who picked up the job after Qof?"

"Impatient as always," she says, the same predatory smile on her face, as if this was the most fun she has had in a while. Noa has always made it clear she has no loyalties, and no amount of money can buy the rush of some good drama... you'd think she would get enough of that working as a mole in the police department — sweeping uncountable deaths under the rug. But apparently, the X on my back is suddenly more appealing to her. "Why the rush?"

I roll my eyes. "Cut the crap."

"Ayin," she says simply. *Ayin is a silent letter in the Alefbeit (ע)

I stare at her for a moment, the name running over and over again in my head. "So they go from sending their weakest assassin to one of the best," I murmur, the words not quite coming out as a question, but rather as a statement.

"You killed one of theirs, Eretz," she raises her eyebrows. "But don't worry, yeah? She won't come after you, or bother you... for now, at least. Qof has always been way too ahead of himself, and look what it cost him."

"Who sent them?"

"Who knows," she shrugs, her smug expression telling me otherwise. "The goal isn't to kill you, yet. If you do a nice and clean job, maybe you'll never even get to meet her."

"That bastard, Asher. What a whining little bit—"

Noa laughs, confirming my suspicion, not that it wasn't already obvious who the perpetrator was. But I guess I held onto the tiniest bit of hope that a fully grown man wouldn't go as far as to hire an assassin to keep another assassin in check... just because his ego was hurt.

"What's taking you so long to finish this mission?" Noa asks, resting her elbow on the car door.

"She's smart" I answer simply, not wanting to give away anything else — Noa doesn't hold the title of mind reader for nothing. Her eyes linger on mine for a moment, a smirk tugging at the corner of her lips. "What?"

"You like her," she says, tilting her head to the side. "You actually like this one."

"Don't be ridiculous."

"You know, Eretz, you've always been really good at playing your part... but you're really bad at lying. You've lost your touch, it seems," she says, opening the door. "I'll be seeing you around, yeah?"

I watch her walk away from my car, heading to hers. The thought of her being right makes my stomach turn. My chest feels heavy with the weight of my thoughts, and I close my eyes, taking a deep breath to clear my head.

But Boss, I Can't Kill Hot Women (GirlxGirl WlW)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें