Chapter 8

I spot Aria by the treadmill as I walk into the gym. She is wearing nothing but a sports bra and short shorts, sweat glistening on her skin. She looks up to meet my gaze, smiling as she picks up her pace. "Hey, stranger," she says when I approach her, her eyes falling on my shirt. "You work here."

"Surprised?" I ask, standing in front of her.

She hums, slowing down until she comes to a stop. "Very," she says with a teasing tone.

"Don't let me interrupt you."

"Interrupt? I just got myself the cutest personal trainer in the whole city," she smirks.

"Oh, yeah?" I ask, raising my eyebrows. "You seem to be doing great on your own."

Her tongue darts out to moisten her lips, as she watches me intently. "Are you really about to refuse service to a VIP member?" she asks innocently.

Eve doesn't arrive until later, and honesty, I'd rather suffer through Aria's flirting than Mrs. Leibowitz's. "No groping," I warn her, gesturing for her to step out of the treadmill.

"Not even a little bit?" she pouts, leaning closer to me.

"Is your husband not giving you enough attention?" I ask, noticing she has her ring on her finger this time around.

She glances at it before answering. "He is a busy man."

"I think you're in need of a hobby," I say simply. "We have self-defense classes every Wednesday, if you're interested."

"Are you the teacher?"

I sigh, shaking my head. "Let's start with some weights," I say, ignoring her question.

"Are you always this hard to get?"

"I'm not playing games," I say plainly.

"I'm not either," she says, a small smile growing on her face. "You intrigue me."

"Why?"

"I'm not sure — don't get me wrong, I'm just trying to figure out myself what it is that draws me to you," she says. "I don't believe it's just your looks, although they do play a big part," she says, holding onto the weights. "I have been married for 10 years, Yael. But I like the thrill, and I also like the chase. I love my husband, but I get bored easily, you know... you seem thrilling."

"Have you always been this bold?" I murmur, helping her hold the weights properly. "I'm not interested in married women."

"Are you not interested in being a married woman's friend? I think you're getting things mixed up," she raises her eyebrows.

"Am I supposed to believe that?"

She grunts as she brings the weights down, slowly bending her arms. "I have the most innocent intentions, I assure you."

I watch her in silence as she does a couple more reps before setting the weights back down. The last thing I want is to get involved with more people than necessary, especially with someone like Aria — someone who would not hesitate to take advantage of anything I could give her. However, she could be useful if I play my cards right.

"One more," I say, helping her pick up the weights once again.

"My arms are so sore, do you not have any empathy?" she breathes out, holding onto them. "You really know how to push a woman to her limit, huh?"

I roll my eyes, guiding her arms as she slowly brought them down. "If you can talk, you can keep going."

"Are you always this cruel to your clients?"

"Only when they ask for it," I say, letting go of her arms. "One more."

Aria sighs, letting her body collapse on the floor. "If you weren't so cute I'd get you fired," she breathes out.

"That's fine by me," I say, offering her a hand.

She laughs, taking my hand, but instead of pulling herself up, she pulls me down. "Oh!" she lets out as our bodies collide with each other. "Are you okay?" she asks innocently.

"I'm fine."

She smiles, holding onto my shoulders, preventing me from getting up. "I am curious about something," she murmurs, her gaze falling on my lips.

"What's that?" I groan, swatting her hands away.

"If you were to kiss me," she hums. "Would you be gentle? Or would you make me forget my own name?"

"I hope I'm not interrupting," Eve's voice comes from behind us, making me quickly get up.

"Yes, you are," Aria says, getting up. "Can't you see we're in the middle of a session?"

"I see that you're hitting on my personal trainer," Eve says simply.

"Your personal trainer?" Aria scoffs. "I was here first."

I rub my forehead, sighing as I watch the two of them size each other up. "Aria, weren't you complaining just a second ago? Let's continue tomorrow."

"I've had her assigned to me," Eve responds pronto, both of them ignoring me.

"Oh yeah?"

"You can check with the receptionist."

Aria looks between the both of us, pursing her lips as she thinks. "Well," she begins, picking up her towel. "I see," she says, brushing past Eve. "I'll be seeing you around," she adds, turning around to look at me. "Yael."

I nod, watching as she walks away. "I apologize, I didn't think you'd arrive so soon."

"Clearly," she says, crossing her arms over her chest. "I thought we had stipulated you'd be my personal trainer."

"Yes, but I didn't think that would mean I can't help other people while you're not here... you don't seem to have a problem with Mrs. Leibowitz."

She doesn't answer, giving me the cold shoulder treatment for the next hour. She is a quick learner, catching up quickly with the routine I'd set for her. Even though she was not exactly pleased, she complied with every order. And I've been itching to ask her about the man at the event, but more importantly, about whether or not she is aware of who I am... if her bodyguard saw me that day — and if so, why is she still here. Dancing with Death.

"Are you planning on ignoring me all day?" I ask as we finish.

"I thought that was clear," she answers dryly.

I sigh, walking behind her as she heads to the changing rooms. "Are you jealous?" I ask, making her stop in her tracks.

She turns around to face me, her eyes meeting mine. "Do you think I am jealous?"

"I don't want to assume, but that's what it seems like," I say, biting my tongue before mentioning that the private gym at her apartment complex is already fixed — there is no reason for her to keep coming.

She raises her eyebrows, leaning closer. "Don't flatter yourself, Yael."

I let my eyes fall to her lips before meeting her gaze again, making sure she's well aware of it. "I apologize, I was out of line, Ms. Blau," I say, taking a step back.

Eve's mouth twitches slightly, her eyes piercing through me. She shakes her head, walking away without another word. I click my tongue as I watch her disappear into the women's locker room, a small smile growing on my lips. She may act aloof, but she has already given herself away. And I can work with that.

As always, thanks for reading, please vote and drop a comment. It will help me a lot more than you might think.

Also, follow me on Twitter and Instagram: shayzayit

Hey guys, if you enjoy my content, please consider supporting what I do on Ko-fi.com/ShayZayit (link on my profile), not only will it give me the motivation to write and create more but it will also help me get my books physically published (these drafts will always stay on Inkitt and Wattpad for free