Chapter 16

The words hit me like a train, my breath caught in my throat as I process them. I can feel her breath against my skin, her lips almost touching mine. I don't dare to move, afraid that if I do, I'll lose control.

Her eyes are expectant, daring me to close the distance, but not daring enough to do it herself. I move slowly, my lips ghosting over hers, feeling the warmth of her body radiating off her. I can see her eyes flutter closed as I move closer, her lips parting slightly. I press my lips against hers, gently at first, testing the waters as I feel her lips moving against mine, kissing me back with equal tenderness. It's nothing like I imagined it to be — it's soft, and sweet, and it makes me feel weak in the knees.

My hands find their way to her neck, pulling her closer, deepening the kiss. I'm not supposed to be enjoying this, and yet, I can't stop. Her arms wrap around me, her hands resting on the small of my back, pressing our bodies together. It's intoxicating, and addictive, and I know that if I don't stop now, I'll never want to stop.

I pull away, breaking the kiss. Eve opens her eyes slowly, her gaze meeting mine. Her cheeks are flushed, her lips swollen from the kiss — beautiful, absolutely beautiful.

"What's wrong?" she asks, her voice low.

"Nothing," I shake my head. "I just... feel disgusting, I'm all sweaty from the gym."

She nods, dropping her arms to her side, letting me get off of her. "Of course," she says, clearing her throat.

"I'll have a quick shower," I say, taking a step back. "I won't be long."

"Take your time," she says, looking away from me.

I walk into the bathroom, closing the door behind me. I let out a shaky breath, leaning against the sink. I stare at myself in the mirror, my eyes wide. My heart is pounding against my chest, and I can feel the heat rising up my cheeks. I have no idea why she has this effect on me, why the slightest touch makes my breath catch in my throat and my heart race.

I'm an assassin... This isn't supposed to happen, it can't happen.

The best course of action right now would be to disengage from the target, and let someone else do the job, but I'm too selfish to let her go. To have someone else kill her... kiss her. I'll hold onto her until I can no longer.

I start taking off my bandages as I hear a knock from the door. "Do you mind if I order something to eat?"

"Sure," I say, trying to keep my voice steady.

Eve opens the door slightly, sticking her head inside with her eyes closed. "Are you decent?" she asks.

"All covered," I say with my smirk, watching her as she opens her eyes. "In my birth suit," I complete.

Her eyes fall on my naked body for a split second before her eyes go wide, closing the door again. "Yael," she scolds me.

"Why are you hiding behind the door now? You already saw it."

I can hear her groan from the other side. "What do you want to eat?"

"Surprise me... no burgers."

"Ok," she says simply. I hear her footsteps as she walks away.

I turn on the shower, stepping inside and letting the warm water wash away the sweat, and hopefully, clear my mind. The water stings my wounds, but it feels good. I have to focus, I can't afford to let my feelings get in the way of my mission — I know what happens when love is involved, when passion takes control, I have seen it first hand. It's a weakness, and I can't afford to be weak.

I turn off the shower, drying myself with one of my towels before wrapping it around my body. I walk out of the bathroom, stopping in my tracks when I don't see Eve anywhere, this is a studio, it's not like she has many places to hide.

There are bags of food on top of the kitchen counter along with some cash. Did she just leave?

I take a peek inside the bag... Jachnun.

Beinis shrugs in his seat as I squint my eyes at him. "So you're telling me that you have no idea why one of our cars was following me?" I raise my eyebrows. "Even though you're the one who keeps tabs on that."

"Listen, if the big boss wants something done without it being on our records, he makes sure of it," he says, looking down at his computer. "And as I said, they are clean, it's legit."

"If they were legit, they would be able to follow me through traffic jams without getting lost," I mutter.

"Why would they be following you in the first place? Did you fuck up?"

"You would like that, wouldn't you?"

He raises his hands defensively. "I'm just saying, if they are tailing you, it must be because something is off. And for all we know, maybe they were just trying to keep tabs on the target, not you."

"I took a different route than her when I noticed I was being followed."

"You know Avera doesn't like to play around — if he has a problem with you, he'll come straight at you," he points out. "Eretz, you might have an X on your back as well."

"So you think someone hired us, to kill me?"

"It's not like it's the first time... you've done it yourself — killed a partner," he sighs. "It's part of the job, right? Well, it seems you have pissed off the wrong person this time around."

I grab him by his shirt, pulling him out of his seat and towards me. "What do you know, Beinis?" I snarl at him. "Spill."

"I don't know anything," he says, his voice calm. "There is no way they'd tell me, or anyone working closely to you, anything."

"Then find out who is behind this."

"You know I can't, Eretz," he mumbles as I let him go, fixing his shirt. "I'm sorry."

As always, thanks for reading, please vote and drop a comment. It will help me a lot more than you might think.

Also, follow me on Twitter and Instagram: shayzayit

Hey guys, if you enjoy my content, please consider supporting what I do on Ko-fi.com/ShayZayit (link on my profile), not only will it give me the motivation to write and create more but it will also help me get my books physically published (these drafts will always stay on Inkitt and Wattpad for free