Chapter 6 - "I Don't Like Taylor!"

Chapter 6

•Ethan's POV•

I darted for my phone, snatching it out of Jake's hand before he could blink, and yanked the earphone from his ear. Then, I pressed pause, and awkwardly stuffed my phone and earphones in my pocket.

I can't believe that actually just happened. I'm just starting to make friends with a guy - could I call it that? I mean, I have pushed him away at every corner - and now he'll probably think I'm some fag that listens to gay music. Well, I am some fag, but still, he doesn't need to know that.

Not yet, anyway.

He starts to chuckle. "You know, I don't mind some TayTay once in a while." He keeps chuckling.

I turn and punch him in the shoulder - not hard, but enough to leave a bruise. He begins to fake hurt and clenches his shoulder like he's been shot.

"Fucking drama queen," I mutter under my breath. Okay, maybe I could've left out the swearing, but I'm pissed and embarrassed and annoyed so don't judge my choices.

He suddenly turns to me all serious and broad shoulders, a finger pointing in my face. "Hey! There is nothing wrong with being a drama queen."

"I know, I know, I'm sorry," I shake my head. I actually kind of feel bad for punching him and calling him that.

"It's fine. You know, I wasn't taking a shot at you for liking Taylor, I actually don't mind her, I was just joking around." He pulls a leg up onto the seat and rests his hand and then head on it, staring at me.

"I don't like Taylor, her music is just there for my little sister, Zoe," I say defensively. Jake's eyes are basically staring into me, screaming LIAR!

"I'm sure it is."

"It is!"

"Uh huh," he says, clicking his tongue.

"I don't like Taylor!" I say, louder than before.

"Alright." He shrugs a shoulder.

"I really don't like her!"

"Okay." Another shoulder.

- - - - -

The bell rang and I hurriedly packed my things into my bag. "I'll see you later," I mutter to Jake. I didn't know if I would. I mean, of course, sometime around the school I'll see him, but hopefully not like previous times.

"Sooner than you realize," he says, a devilish grin stretched across his face. I flash him a weird look and leave the classroom while Jake is still packing his things up.

What does he mean by that?

I try to ignore what he said and make my way to my next classroom. I have no trouble finding my next classroom, as it's just two corridors down from my previous class.

Again, I take a seat at one of the benches, a spare seat next to me - pray no one sits next to me - and take out what is soon-to-be my biology book out of my bag, followed once again by a pen. How boring is high school, right? Same shit, same classes, same people.

I don't wait for anyone to sit next to me, and start writing my name and subject and yada-yada on my book with swirls on the ends. But then footsteps fall, books slap on the table, and the most obnoxious, annoying, stupid chuckle erupts next to me.

"I swear to God, I will kill you," I say, turning to meet Jake's beautiful brown eyes. I know, very conflicting. No matter how much I try to hate him, his brown eyes and soft smiles just kill me.

"Did I ever tell you you have the prettiest dark blue eyes?" He flashed his signature toothy grin and sat down next to me. I felt a crimson heat rise to my cheeks.

"I don't believe you have," I say, turning to the front of the room and watching what the teacher was writing down on the board. He can't see me blush again.

After copying down a few of the words off the board - safety instructions and rules about how to be safe in the labs - I turn to see Jake writing down his details on the cover of his book . . . with swirls.

It's my turn to chuckle. "Really?" Jake turns to me with a knowing, but innocent smile on his face. Seriously, does this guy ever stop smiling?! "After all this time mocking me about putting swirls on the ends of my letters and now you do it?"

"Curlicues."

"What?" I ask, confused as to what he said and what relevance it has with this subject.

"The swirls on the ends of the letters. They're called curlicues." Another smile, this time cocky.

Oh.

"Smart-ass," I mutter, turning in my chair and continuing to copy down the safety regulations. I barely get through half a word when Jake starts speaking again.

"Why are you always acting so hostile towards me?" His usual smile is dampened a bit, reminiscent to a kicked puppy.

"Why do you keep flirting with me?" I ask, deflecting the conversation away from me.

Jake flinches slightly, but his toothy grin reappears. "Because you're beautiful, you're extremely smart, you are impossibly adorable, and, like I said, your blue eyes are gorgeous." He honestly has no shame. I could tell he was telling the truth, that he genuinely believed those things. He was staring at me, staring into my eyes the whole time during that little speech, his brown eyes almost twinkling like they do in the cartoons.

And me? Well, I was melting into a blushing mess on the floor.

- - - - -

"Why do you not like my flirting with you?" He asked, turning to me suddenly, pausing from copying down notes. At first, he seemed a little down, but then the familiar twinkle returned to his eyes. "Are you straight or something?" He made fun of the word as if I was obviously gay.

I mean, I am - but still.

I hesitated. Probably for too long - okay, definitely too long. "Uh, yeah," I said, as if it were the most obvious thing.

He patted me on the back knowingly. "There's no way you're straight. You wouldn't have blushed a million times over when I flirted with you-" this makes me blush "-you also would probably tell me to 'fuck off'."

"Maybe I'm just tolerant towards gays?" I say, my voice a few pitches higher than I'd like. I started to feel uncomfortable in the hard plastic seat. Then I felt like the room had suddenly gotten ten degrees hotter. God, please no, not now. Jake just watches me, an amused look on his face, possibly waiting for me to come up with another excuse.

I try to ignore the fact that a panic attack was rising in me, and tried to focus on my breathing. "Besides, I could be straight, you never know," I said defensively, shrugging my shoulders really high and rubbing my neck awkwardly into my shoulders.

A cocky smile forms on Jake's face. "Sure you could."

"I could! I say, louder than intended, causing a few students to turn and stare at us. The teacher turned away from the board - a board full of notes I've yet to copy down. She scolds us, telling us to "quiet down boys", which makes me blush slightly.

I drop my head, obediently copying down the notes from the board.

A soft, light chuckle sounds from next to me. I turn my head. Jake's copying down the notes, too, but he has a wicked grin spread across his face. He was shaking his head slightly, causing his blond hair to tousle a bit.

"Sure you could." He kept chuckling.

----------

Thank you so much for reading guys!! 

Also, there's Alex - who plays Jake - to the top or side or wherever you find a cute picture of the blonde boy x

Remember to vote! <3 <3 <3