Chapter 42 - We Need To Talk

Chapter 42

We Need To Talk

•Ethan's POV•

It was only my second day back and I was already considering homeschooling.

Mom basically had to shove me into my own car while America was threatening to drive over there and drive me to school herself, but not before running me over.

The attention still hadn't worn off – the staring eyes, the whispering behind my back, the disgusted looks or the sympathetic looks. I wasn't sure what the rumors were yet, I hadn't heard a single one of them – America refuses to tell me them – but from the varying looks I'm receiving, there must be a few different stories.

On the way from photography – which Jake hadn't shown up to – a girl, maybe a year younger, with red hair, had stopped me in the hallway.

"I'm so sorry Jake had cheated on you with a whole bunch of people at the same time, that must truly suck," she had said. She had placed a hand on my forearm, and she had concerned, somewhat sympathetic, eyes.

I just stared back at her, completely dumbfound. Eventually, after a few seconds, she let go of my arm and walked off.

America and I spent the first lunch break on the bleachers. The field was pretty empty – the footballers usually played second break – but I didn't mind the lack of judging eyes or quiet, free air.

"Okay, I know you said you won't tell me, but what the fuck kind of rumors are going around?" I say to America.

She sighs a deep, heavy, eventual sigh. "Fine, I guess I should probably tell you." She finishes off her apple and chucks the core over her head. "But don't let this get to you, even though the majority are just stupid exaggerations."

I huffed. I had no doubt about that, if my previous encounter was anything to judge by.

"So," she begins. "The most ridiculous one is that." She pauses. "Oh god, do I really have to say this aloud to you?"

"America," I say, my voice deeper, pushing her to tell me.

"Ugh, fine. Basically, the most ridiculous one that's going around is that Jake cheated on you with a bunch of people at the same time." Her face is scrunched up, disgusted that she even had to tell me.

"You mean people think he had an orgy without me?" I ask, exasperated, and somewhat a little humorous.

"Basically," America says.

I laugh. I genuinely laugh.

"Jake wouldn't even have an orgy if he's life depended on it," I say, chuckling a little at the idea of a stunned Jake being proposed with the idea.

America laughs along with me. "Though you know he'd certainly entertain the idea."

"That's true, but I don't think he'd ever actually do it, he's not that kind of person," I say.

Both America and I's laughing stops, and we sit there for a moment, thinking.

"Do you think he'd ever cheat?" She adds, "even if it's not an orgy."

A small laugh escapes, but then it disappears. "No, I don't think he'd ever do that."

"Then what are you waiting for? Speak to him, hear his side of the story, maybe fix things."

"I know, you're right," I admit.

"Of course I am." She smiles at me.

- - - - -