Chapter 7:

The school day went by pretty fast. Phoenix and I just joked around all math period. I think everyone was surprised how different our relationship was compared to yesterday. Rosey kept me busy and English and PE and before I knew it, it was time for detention.

Somehow Phoenix and I are still the only ones in detention. I didn't have any homework so I didn't really know what to do.

*Hey

Phoenix scribbled on a price of paper.

*Hi

I scribbled.

*You coming over after this?

*I haven't thought about it.

*Well you should.

*Maybe…

*What do you mean maybe? Don't you want to spend time with me ;)

I looked up and saw him smoking. I just rolled my eyes and shook my head.

*I'll come over after I check in with my mom.

*Mind if I tag along? Rosey took the car.

*Sure

So after detention Phoenix and I were both on our way to my house

The second I pulled into the driveway I knew something was up. I didn't know what, but it was something.

My stomach flipped as I walked up to the front door. My door was busted. Someone broken!

“Stay here.” I told Phoenix who was standing behind me.

“Marie you shouldn't be going in there.” He said grabbing my wrist.

“I can handle myself. Now stay.” I said as if he were a dog.

I walked inside and the whole place is trashed. Papers were scattered everywhere. Someone was here. If that's the case then where's my mom?

I continue looking for any sign of my mom is still here. I found her keys and her phone. I walked up stairs and scanned her bedroom. Whoever was here didn't go up, everything was left untouched. Yet something about my mom's room was different, off.

I scan the small bedroom with its cream colored walls and the queen bed my mom slept in. Everything had a place in my mom’s room. She liked everything organized. Her books were in alphabetical order. Here clothes were sorted by style and color. Everything was perfect and that's when I realized that one of our family photos is slightly tilted I walked over and pulled it off the wall. Just as I did and envelope fell to the ground.

I quickly opened it.

Dear Marie,

Someone has come looking for your father. They think that he's still alive. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this before. I know that you probably are going to want to come to my rescue, but don't. These people are trying to lure your father out, to reveal himself. They think he faked his death. I'm so sorry that this is being sprung on you all the sudden. These people are dangerous marine. Get somewhere safe.

Love always,

Mom

I read this over and over again trying to comprehend what my mom was telling me. My dad faked his death?. This is just too much to process.

“Marie, are you okay?” I jumped and turned around seeing Phoenix.

“You scared me! Didn't I tell you to stay outside?”

“Sorry. Is everything okay?” He asked.

I shook my head. “No Phoenix nothing is okay.”