Chapter 21

"WHAT?" I said looking back at the black SUV. "For how long?"

"Since the Louisiana border." Phoenix answered.

"Okay that's a long time. Rosey give me your phone please." I said as I grabbed out my notebook.

"Here." She handed me the phone and I started dialing.

Rosey and Phoenix are going to think this is insane, but I'm giving it a shot.

"Hello?" I hear him from the other end of the line.

"John, you have one chance to tell me the truth otherwise, I'm taking you down. Is taking down my dad an order?"

"Marie, that's classified information." He answered.

"LOOK! I have a black SUV following me and a father who decided to show himself. I need answers and fast!" I stressed.

"I can't, but for now give me the license plate number on the van." He instructed.

"Okay..." I listed off the name and waited.

"Alright Maire, it's a stolen car. Now I need you to get in the driver's seat and drive to your house. I'll meet you there with my team."

"Wait! I still don't know if I can trust you!" I yelled.

"Marie code 627. Trust comes after, just get here."

He was right, in situations like these you get safe first. Only one issue... I don't know how long we will be safe.

"Uhh... Marie?" Phoenix said trying to get my attention.

"Right...uh Rosey get in the back." I told her.

"Wh-"

"Just do it! Phoenix put cruise control on. Then slowly move to the passenger seat while I take the wheel." I instructed. I used my no questioning voice, one I learned from my mom.

"Okay."

It took him a minute, but Phoenix didn't run us off the road. I jumped in the seat as soon as I could taking off cruise and flooring it.

"MARIE! Calm down!" Phoenix instructed.

"Not right now, my main priority is to get you two safe! Now Rosey grab my bag and get two pistols out." I instructed. "Okay now hand one to Phoenix and one to me."

"Why don't I get a gun?" Rosey asked.

"Because I have seen you with a nerf gun." I laughed.

"Alright fair enough."

"So, what's the plan?" Phoenix asked.

"Well right now we are still about three hours from my house. The guns are just a precaution,  I'm going we won't need them."

Three hours is a long time though, whoever is driving that SUV might get impatient and we need to be prepared for that.

"Rosey, I want you to push the seats as far back as they go and sit on the floor."

"Why?" Rosey asked uneasy.

"Just in case." Is all I say.

"Do you know who's in the SUV?" Phoenix asked.

"No it's a stolen car, there's no way to know.  We just need them to stay behind us until we get back to my house."

We were about an hour away from my house when Rosey's phone rang.

"Hello?" I answered not bothering to check the caller ID.

"Marie, pull the car over." My father ordered.

"Why? How'd you even get this number?" I asked trying to stall.

I grabbed my notebook and handed it to Phoenix pointing to John's phone number hoping he understands. It's a good thing I'm good at driving with my knees.

"Marie, unless you want your dear mother to be in pain, you will pull that car over now!"

"Fine, but Phoenix and Rosey get to leave."

"Yes, your friends can drive away. NOW pull the car over."

"Okay" I said hanging up and pulling over.

"Okay, do you have John on the line?" I asked.

"Yeah."

"Alright." I said taking the phone and adding Rosey's into the call. "Phoenix and Rosey continue as planned. Drive to my house and get John." I told them.

"I don't want to leave you again." Phoenix pleaded.

"Please, just go." I said opening the car door. "This is the best way. Rosey drive as fast as you can and no matter what Phoenix says don't turn back" I instructed.

Rosey's POV 

As Marie talked to me, I realized how serious this is. We could all die right now. I needed to save my brother and protect Marie. So when she jumped out of the car, I hopped up to the driver's seat, put child lock on all the doors except mine and floored it. 

"Rosey, go back! What are you doing?" My brother shouted. 

"Look Marie can't protect all of us, Phoenix. She already has her mom to worry about. This is what's best for everyone." I explained. 

"Look I've had to leave her once. I don't want to leave her again." He explained. 

"Look Phoenix, you need to trust Marie. yes you've left her once, but she was okay. She knows what she's doing." 

I felt bad for Phoenix, I can't imagine how hard it is to leave the person he loves in such a dangerous position. I know what I'm doing is the right thing for him, even if he doesn't see it yet. 

"Put the phone on speaker." I told Phoenix. 

He did as I asked, but has yet to say a word. 

"Rosey? Phoenix? You there?" John asked. 

"We're here." I responded. 

"Good, tell me where you are." 

"We are just off highway 55 by Senatobia." 

"Okay, I'm on my way to Marie. Drive to Marie's house and lock the doors." John instructed. 

"Alright." I responded.

Then we did the only thing we could do, listen to Marie and her dad.